OT: Rant... ATT and "alt" Newsgroups

Well, it looks like another worthless politician has scared internet providers to drop some of my "evil" newsgroups like:

alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

and

alt.binaries.pictures.weather

Can alt.autos.studebaker be next?

Yep, that POS AG in NY state and my POS provider ATT are in bed with each other.

Guess that it is time to move on to another provider after ten + years.

ATT has been going downhill ever since SBC gobbled them up anyway.

Gawd, I hate politicians!

Thank you for looking...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Internet providers all across the country are dropping usenet service, it's

30 year old technology. Compared to commercial internet useage, usenet isn't even a drop in the bucket yet requires the same level of maintenance whether it's useage is millions or a handful. From a business standpoint, it's smart to drop usenet and dedicate time and effort to something that reaches the majority of your users.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Here's a fairly recent view of why some big providers are at least dropping the alt.* groups

I'm no fan of censorship, but My own view is the bachelor, top model and Springer type TV shows appear to have had a powerful (negative) effect on both my daughters' values. Then again, I'm pretty oblivous, so its likely petty competition and vicous cliquery has been the teenaged (and older) girls standard for 4 score years at least.

Reply to
Dan Timberlake

The dip$**ts at Time Warner dropped ALL newsgroups a couple of weeks ago but kindly suggested some alternatives, all of which were rather pricey and no doubt they got a kickback for anyone who signed up for one of those.

I found another Usenet provider for $4.95 a month, about half of the cheapest that TW suggested... and this is my first post back on Usenet.

Just because something is old technology doesn't mean it's not still good!

Jeff DeWitt

JeffDeWitt

Here's a quote from a comic that summs up alot:

"Politicians never let the facts influence their judgement"

Reply to
Dale J.