OT Sillier than usual car crash

Somehow, last night my mind drifted back to one of the most silly crashes I ever saw.

1966,Cambridge Mass: A car, nosed in a slot at right angles to the curb, slowly backed out. Another car was driving, at a reasonable speed, down the street and saw the backing car ahead and braked, apparently causing something to fall off the back seat onto the floor. Driver turned to pick stuff (baby?) off floor, removing foot from brake with car continuing forward and driver facing aft. Driver of car backing out was watching as the other car slowly ran into his. Elapsed time from braking to crash was 15+ seconds. (Count them off as you visualize it.) I'm still kicking myself for not stopping, as a witness, and to actually meet these fools.

Runner-up was the driver who put front fender under the side of a flatbed trailer on a roundabout in England, not realizing that the truck driver couldn't see her in mirror or directly and the fender would be crunched when the truck moved. This time I left my card.

Any better ones?

Reply to
midlant

I remember being broadsided by a guy in a Triumph Spitfire NW of Chicago during the winter of '79 (iirc).. We had 118+ inches of snow and they couldn't plow it any more. The piles were huge. This idjit either slid on the ice, or just blew the stop sign and T-boned my wife's '73 Toronado as I drove it to work. I was only going 35 mph, as the weather sucked. The hit 'turned' the Toro' to the right and it got tangled up in the 5'+ pile of plowed snow on the side of the road. Must've spun 3 or 4 times 'in' the snowbank. The Triumph caved in the passenger door pretty bad, but the snow caved in every square inch of sheet metal on the car. It ended up with the back bumper on top of the snow bank, with the front bumper on the ground, perpendicular to the road. All 4 tires were hanging in the air. I whacked my head pretty good on the door glass, and was contemplating why all the dash lights were on when the police officer came up and asked if I was all right. I showed him the lights, and asked him for his opinion. He was nice to me and made me go for a ride with the nice men with the white coats. Anyways... The guy that hit me got a few tickets... When we went to court he came up to me to ask how I was. (I was fine)... I took one look at him and wondered WTF??? He was on crutches, with a cast on his arm and a neck brace and a big bandage on his head. I asked him "WTF happened to you?" He said that the reason he was driving the Triumph that day was because he had wrecked his Cougar by running into the back end of a cement truck. Then...after wrecking the Triumph on my wife's car (which btw, she has NEVER forgiven me for wrecking...like it was my fault)... he had to take the train to work. He was near the station, and stepped off the curb and got hit by a car. My sympathy was large for him, but he got stuck for the ticket for hitting me. No mercy! Jeff

Somehow, last night my mind drifted back to one of the most silly

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Jeff, you must have noticed that I didn't mention any of mine - not even grindging down a GT rear bumper bolt on a guard rail one evening.

Another I could have put in, even though I didn't see the crash was when I heard one of two women who had contacted going around a roundabout say, after I had offered advice,"But you hit me first!" I still ponder that!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

snip: I whacked my head pretty good on the door glass, and was contemplating why all the dash lights were on

Well, the TRUTH is out! We all now KNOW why Jeff is the way he is! BOSEG!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

In addition to the occasional head droppings when he was a child???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire