OT: Why American Companies Suck...

An acquaintance bought a "return" Murray riding mower in 2000 and recently the main pulley on the the deck went belly up. He did manage to buy the parts to repair it (though some were the wrong ones) but he did not have the owner's manual in order to determine the belt routing.

So, I got on the net and clicked on the "owner manuals" box, entered the serial number and sadly learned that 2003 and older machines were no longer "supported."

Investigating a little further, found out that Murray is a subsidiary of Briggs & Stratton where the latest quarterly report shows a sales downturn due mainly to its Murray division.

Ya gotta luv it... Corporate America cannot even detect the cause and effect of poor service & support. No friggin' wonder most of us buy foreign these days...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I hope that some poor Murray dealer sees this and sends in back to HQ, with a, "See, I told you so." message attached.

Karl (The most important car > An acquaintance bought a "return" Murray riding mower in 2000 and

Reply to
midlant

I maintain that the problem with most American companies (as described above), is that an accountant is at the helm of the company. Accountants are trained to count beans, therefore the best of them only think in terms of beans. We need our beans counted, but unfortunately most of them make decisions based ONLY on beans, NOT what all the great variety of beans mean.

A business is more than just the bottom line, and most American companies (and a great number of misguided Americans) think the bottom line IS the business. People (and what we make, or service we perform) is what business consists of. As long as people are part of the business equation, the bottom line will only be a small part of the business. It's an important part, to be sure - just not THE most important part.

I do not hate accountants - I just don't want them running a business other than an accounting firm. I've had the same accountant for the last 25 years, and when I had my own business I told anyone who would listen that she was worth every bit of the $30 a month that I paid her. Just my two bits - think about it, and draw your own conclusions.

Wasn't Studebaker's Motto "Give Them More Than they Expected"?

Reply to
zoombot

another branch of Briggs makes a LOT of automotive locks, too --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Did he ever figure out the deck belt routing on that machine? I have 2 Murray machines here, both different, and could send you some pics of the belt routing on them if you like.

Reply to
D.J.

Not all American companies; I've owned three Sears Craftsman riding lawn mowers over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

Reply to
Dan Peterson

mowers over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

Bet it's not run by a bean-counter.

Reply to
zoombot

mowers over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

Reply to
am not r2

mowers over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

Reply to
am not r2

The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong.> >

Why did you sell it?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

LOL,,,, we were GIVEN a Sears push mower.. FREE.. it even RAN..

it has a quirk..

if the lawn is ABSOLUTELY LEVEL, it will start and run GREAT..

if the front wheels OR rear are OVER 1/8" up or down, IT WILL NOT RUN.. dies immediately..

so, I went after an air cleaner for same, and the parts guy told me I was wasting my money.. HIS DIES AS WELL, same exact situation..

the carb is 'welded' together, so there is no fixing that part..

oh well

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

mowers over the past 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance and the ability to get parts (and yes they are still made in the USA). The last one I owned for 15 years, bought new for $999 in 1991 and just sold it for $200 and it was still going strong. Sears has a pretty good system for supplying parts even for older machines. They even stock parts for my Craftsman snow blower which was bought new by my grandfather in 1973 and passed down to me when he died.

They certainly need to be confined to providing financials and have nothing to do with day to day operations and/or planning.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think that he's going back to the local distributor hoping to get a photocopy of the belt pattern. I personally know virtually nothing about lawn care equipment other than a simple push rotary mower which gets tossed every couple of years.

I sure appreciate the thought though..

JT

"D.J." wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Well, if that doesn't pan out drop me a line Dale DOT Jelinski AT sasktel DOT ca and I'll send a pic. One we have has the deck engage lever on the 'dash' part and the other is a lever on the deck itself.

Reply to
D.J.