Paint Formula '64 Avanti

How can I find a basecoat/clearcoat modern paint formula for my early '64 Avanti, painted gold metallic? The factory invoice says Paint 13 P6333 Avanti Gold.

Any help appreciated. Thanks! I live in Portland, Oregon BTW.

Reply to
dennisandgayle

I found a couple of possible leads on a Google search:

- Rinshed-Mason # 63S72 - Dupont Lucite 4445-L

Perhaps an automotive paint store could make some inquiries on those numbers and come up with a current-day bc/cc match.

Or, seems to me I've seen the Avanti paint & upholstery sample envelopes for sale from time to time (I have one somewhere, darned if I remember where, nor am I certain it covers the 64 colors, it may only be 63 colors... check some of the Avanti vendors). If you could get hold of one, a good paint shop can use a spectrometer to come up with a pretty close match (or they may send it to their supplier for a color match).

Or, if your car is still gold, remove the fuel door flap, compound it out to get to the true color, and take it to an automotive paint store for them to use in their spectrometer.

Here are some sites of interest for you:

WayneC

I had my Avanti Gold basecoat/clearcoat matched in PPG.I have heard over the years that PPG matches studebaker colors good.

Reply to
63t-cab

Here's a 64 paint chip chart:

WayneC