Ping: Bob Palma

Bob,

Do you have any links regarding the issue of modern motor oils and the failure rate of flat lifters etc.?

Thanx,

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Bob's computer went on a siesta for now, and is not at home! He's "cyberless"

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

Extremely informative and to-the-point article in June Hot Rod Mag (still on some newstands) on this subject.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Here is a collection of Bob's comments that were on this(?) thread previously. I recently collected them for a newsletter article so they were all together.

The June 2006 Hot Rod magazine has an excellent technical article on why flat-top lifters and their attendant camshafts are failing at a dramatically-increasing rate of late. It's worth a read if you have the time. One (but not the only) reason cited was people using current S-rated motor oil designed for new-car engines, none of which (they say) have the flat-top lifters and camshafts that were the industry standard for a hundred years, and are in our Studebakers. Hot Rod's research points out that current S-rated oils do not have enough zinc and phosphorus compounds to properly lubricate flat-top lifters and cams. They recommend diesel-rated oils, using Shell Rotella-T as an example. Chemical analysis is given for the requirements of current S-rated oil versus C-rated oil (C = Compression Ignition, i.e; Diesels). The analysis indicates C-rated oils have between 50 and 60 percent more zinc/phosphorus compounds than do new-car S-rated oils. Rotella-T, of course, isn't the only appropriate oil meeting those standards. Chevron Delo-400 is another such oil, as is Castrol Tection Extra. For those with Pennzoil as their brand of choice. The appropriate Pennzoil product is known as Pennzoil Long-Life, .Heavy-Duty Motor Oil. If anyone buys Pennzoil, be sure the product says "Long-Life." They also have a conventional, straight-weight oil called Heavy-Duty, but it does NOT carry an API "C" rating, and does NOT contain the words "Long-Life" in the label identification. For those who prefer Valvoline products, the Valvoline product with the appropriate specifications is "Valvoline All-Fleet Plus Motor Oil." Remember, we discussed this oil situation in The Co-Operator some time ago...so get your news first in Turning Wheels Thanks. BP)

Reply to
Lark Parker

Thanks Lark,

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Wasn't the consensus from that Co-Operator article that 15W-40 diesel weight was the proper oil to use? I tink that article also made heavy mention of the fact hat 10W-40 was a flawed formulation and should never have been marketed in the first place. I'm using the diesel

15W-40 in my Studes and my two Packards get straight non-detergent 20-weight from Castrol.

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120 Lark Parker wrote:
Reply to
reichsrundfunk