Power steering fluid

I am getting ready to reseal the PS pump on my '63 GT. What type of fluid should I use. Flaps Power Steering fluid or Tranny fluid? Opinions welcomed.

Dustybob in WV

Reply to
Dustybob

Aren't they the same thing except for the color?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

Thanks for the help,

Dustybob

Reply to
Dustybob

I just installed a new PS pump in the Hawk, the main front bearing became oblong. Not only did the belt move in and out, bu it made strange sounds. Afer installing it I followed the Service Manual, raised the front end etc, stc, stc.

But when I started to drive, I noticed no change. On a whim I opened up the major Steering box, and found out it was almost dry in there. I filled up the box with the proper fluid, and after a day of riding aound, I know have POWER steering.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Type F ATF is right stuff to use. The Eaton pumps were not designed for power steering fluid.

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120 Dustybob wrote:
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Related question. I have the saginaw PS setup from a '57 in my '53. If I drive 70+ on the freeway for a while, when I pull off and stop at the light, the PS whines. I know its the PS since the pitch changes as I steer. The noise goes away if I then drive at slower speeds for a while or if I stop at a gas station and shut down for a while. Never does this if I drive at 65 or slower. Is the fluid foaming or something from the higher RPM of the pump? I've not tried to quickly pull off the pump cover to look since its usually not a convenient location! I have dextron III in it. Should I try something else?

Jeff in ND

Reply to
JH

sure sounds like the fluid is airated to me.... You may try a different pulley combo to slow the pump down a bit

Reply to
Lee