R 12 refrigerant can or retro fit.

I am in need of at least 1 can of R-12. Any body have a can they would part with. Also., are there any recommendations on what would be a good conversion gas for the 1963 factory Stude unit. Any one that has changed their refrigerant gas please reply with some details. thank you jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

I have contacted jimmijim off-group about his request, but it should be noted that it is illegal to buy or sell R-12 without a license. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

If you look on ebay, you will see that there are numerous people still selling R-12. Generally, it seems to be selling for about $25 per can. I was pleased to have a couple of my neighbors donate some dusty cans of freon when they found out that my system was still R-12. There was a time that Freon was dirt cheap and every backyard mechanic had some. There's probably still quite a bit sitting on garage shelves.

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> I am in need of at least 1 can of R-12. Any body have a can they would

Reply to
Jim Bradley

I converted my 89 Plymouth mini van to R-134-a a few years ago, all I did was add the new fittings on the compressor, and filled her up. Never had any issues. The conversion is NOT as a big deal as everybody makes it out to be. The R134-a fittings screw onto the old fittings, (actually cross thread) and vacuum it down, and fill it back up. Not a big deal. The only problem now is, R134-a is getting expensive too.

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

I've been using Freeze 12 for 5 years or so as a replacement. $100 case/12

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Can't even buy R12 in Florida anymore without a license. R134 conversion kits work OK, but it depends on how big your condenser is ( because R134 is not as efficient as R12). Ebon can probably answer those questions better than I ever could.. Freeze12 works good for the buck. Jeff

"John Poulos" wrote:...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I haven't looked at all 85 listings (right at the moment), but the ones I did look at all require your EPA certificate to ship to you (supposedly anyhow). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
rustynutgarage

I used Freeze 12 in the Avanti Survivor for the 3 years I owned it without a issue, and few other cars for a year or two. I see no reason to think it will wear out in longer use. It's just a R 134A blend that carries the compressor oil. I have no data on it's preformance in 110 degree weather, but I fail to see why you feel it's a "shade tree" product if it's works at least as well as a R134A conversion. If others have had a bad experience with the stuff, lets discuss it.

rustynutgarage wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

i have also used the enviro-safe substitute with good results.which is a propane/isobutane mixture. so you have to take appropiate precautions for flammables.so no smoking while recharging or checking for leaks with a match and you know who you are. i dont worry about the flammability aspect because it isnt any worse than gasoline . you can go to the website .you can get it for $8.00 a can or cheaper in quantity. they do have a quick charge kit for about $44 including shipping but there is no oil in it that is sold seperately for $7.50 a bottle. you can check your system for leaks by pressuring up the system with about 150 - 200 psi of air. check for leaks with soap & water ,repair the leaks, and then fill it up. no need to pull a vacuum . if you try to charge it up with a vacuum it wont work. and you cant have any pressure in the system either as it wont work . if there is any pressure in the system you have to keep bleeding it off at the low pressure port ,let it sit for awhile then bleed it off again until there is no more air bleeding out. because the expansion valve lets the pressure out verrrry slowly. another nice thing is that this stuff doesnt care what kind of oil is in the system. one bad thing is that if your system has a leak you cant just top it off you have to bleed off the system and do a full recharge, because one part bleeds off quicker than the other .another good thing is that it uses 30% less power to run the system. im sure the air conditioning guys are cringing right now but my cars are running air without spending $300 - 400 per car. plus the guys that sell this stuff are really helpful. give them a call ,tell them what you have and what you are doing and they will point you in the right direction. thats about all i know but i hope this helps you.here is the address :

homer

Reply to
homer