R3 header fit mystery

Had a 289 with R3 headers in a 63 Cruiser, swapped the motor (another

289) and moved the headers over to it. Got it on the motor and transmission mounts and the bottom of one header rubs hard on the steering arm. Looked at an R1 Avanti with the same headers and there's an inch of clearance. Anybody have a clue as to what's going on here? The headers are LS, and I can't say for sure they weren't rubbing with the other motor as the steering works, but obviously I'd like some clearance.
Reply to
Pat Drnec

Wrong holes in the motor mounts? Different motor mounts (thinner R-3 vs standard)? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Please excuse me if this insults your intelligence, but you did get all the motor mounts in the right holes when you dropped the engine in, yes? Everything should be offset to the passenger side, AFAIR.

nate

fits:

N8N

I don't know the answer to that one but have a big tip on another problem. Reach up inside the outlet of the headers as far as your finger will reach and make sure that divider is straight. Mine had a core shift and there was

1/4 inch dogleg that would have really restricted the flow.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Pat, can the arm turned upside down? Stud in from the top instead of the bottom?

Reply to
ErnieR

Does the transmission mount ( Supposing automatic) have that large spacer between the mount and frame?

Reply to
SilverStude

there's a spacer between the mount and frame?

SilverStude wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Well, on the GT Hawk and I believe the Stude Avanti, the drivers side Powershift trans mount has a thick, (maybe 3/4") steel spacer, inserted between the crossmember and the bottom of the trans mount. It's there to jack something up..

Reply to
SilverStude

On an automatic, yes. Part number 532427 1/2" thick, goes between trans mount and x-member on driver's side. Late parts book actually lists an additional 1/4" spacer on the *passenger* side for non-C/K V-8s but I haven't personally pulled an engine/trans from an automatic Lark so I can't verify that. If it's a 4-speed there are other spacers used between mount and bellhousing but the parts book does not list the thicknesses, although I believe that this was discussed on the group a while back when I was trying to determine the proper thicknesses for a

4-speed C/K. I think 3-speed and 3/OD cars did not have a spacer however. See pgs. 19-20 of your late chassis parts book.

If you need a spacer and don't have one, I don't see why a stack of hardened washers wouldn't be an acceptable alternative, just a little harder to install.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel