Rags to riches TV show

Threaded View

   Another show that will tick you off on occasion. Tonight I'm watching
them rod a 6,800 mile Torino that still had the factory tires. It was a
little painful to watch them cut and weld on the unmolested car. At
least it wasn't a Studebaker. <g> I know buying a car in that shape
makes sense, but still sad to see them toss all the like new parts.
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
My Ebay items:http://www.stude.com/EBAY /
64 Daytona HT
64 Daytona Convert.
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 R1 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
62 Daytona HT
62 Lark 2 door
60 Hawk

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Just watched it and turned it off. What a mess. Crappy colour, stupid
looking amateur graphics, headers that are WAY to low, lousy looking
exhaust, bad tire size choice/mix/size, Under-seat speakers (didn't know
you could still buy those!) bad mix of old/new and a 7000 mile original
car wasted.

Not impressed at all. Friggin' Coddington wannabe and Coddington's a goof.

Rob

http://www.robswoodworking.com

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Do you mean Wrecks to Riches?

Mark
65 Cruiser
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Yea.

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Rags to riches TV show

I get a kick out of his recruiting outside slave labor under the guise of
being on a cable TV show.
Then they hype the value by quoting list price for everything (that was
donated under the same schtic)
Then they totally underblow the hours of labor it took to to the job....
And then the cars don't sell at the 'B' tour auctions....
I thought the 'in house' Camaro job was more representative of their
combined talents.

He sells a retro-efi kit in the magazines (hat turns out to be built by
someone else)..
Lot of complaints about it on other forums.

My beef about almost all of these shows?
There's no love for what's being done to that vehicle.
Jst get it done, and get it out.
Even Overhauling is like that.
Lie, steal, and cheat....buit the end result will make you fake your
surprise.

As far as the choice of what car to do on TV?
Makes sense.
How can you do all the work in the timeframe of a shooting schedule if you
have to do hard stuff?
They said they did the whole Torino in 200 hours.
Shoot, it takes Nate that long to choose an oil filter <lol>.....

Jeff (I'll pimp my own ride...) Rice

--

Re: Rags to riches TV show

I'm waiting for the day on Overhaulin' when a guy sees his pimped out
vehicle and says, "That's not how I wanted it done... put it back".

Lee

Re: Rags to riches TV show

    I was thinking of N8 while working on his Daytona that sat here for
over a year waiting to be finished. Last Sat I pulled the engine for
underhood detailing and to replace the clutch. I painted and detailed
everything and the engine goes back in this weekend. New tires are on
the way, should be done next week. It goes a lot faster when spend your
time working instead of pondering. <g>  (Of course N8 has a regular job
and a life too.)

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Rags to riches TV show

You can say what you will about Nate...But he has a good friend in
John P...

That makes all the difference for Nate...

Lansing

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Re: Rags to riches TV show

    Oops, should have more clear that N8's Daytona, is now my Daytona. I
may paint a part or two for him while he's at work, but I'm not going to
spend a week on his stuff, I have enough of my own.<g>

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Rags to riches TV show

Did some googling this morning about Wrecks to Riches.  If you've seen
many shows, you'll note that a gentleman by the name of Ardell Brown
buys many of the cars that are turned out on that show.  Ardell Brown
is a very wealthy car collector.  Look what he has in his collection:

http://www.britishmotorclub.org/2004/bbq/ArdellBrown04-1.jpg

Mark
65 Cruiser
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Damn.  I was hoping if I left you to your own devices long enough my
car would magically reassemble itself :)

I have gotten nothing ordered this week BTW, this "real job" thing is
killing me.  But I did talk to Dave T. yesterday and for all you '61
Hawk or bench seat Lark guys, he's working on a Hurst shifter for me
and apparently just hasn't done one yet because he didn't have a
factory shift lever to copy (I fixed that problem.)  Reason I am using
a '61 Hawk shift lever is because I would like to make my car look as
close to factory as possible, so no bucket seats (yes, I KNOW that
there were no 4-speeds in '55, but there are some things that just have
to be done...)  I didn't like the looks of the "recommended" Hurst
lever for the bench seat cars, a little too "Ed Roth" for my taste.

nate

Re: Rags to riches TV show

    I did get your yoke from Lee and your rear seal is here. Leave me a
list and I'll try and order stuff for you.

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Rags to riches TV show

You already did Jeff, you already did. <G>

--
thanks, Jerry Forrester
Be sure to check out my eBay store,

<lol>  And I am not finished!

"Jerry Forrester" wrote...

<snip>

Re: Rags to riches TV show

I love it when they show his "designer" (Chris?) doing the concept
drawings of what the car should look like when they do it. His
renderings look like something my daughter would have drawn...when she
was in the 6th grade!!!

Compared to Chip Foose, he's a rank amatuer...but that applies to a lot
of us! At least Foose explains the color schemes he chooses and why he
uses the subtle color fade and he ALWAYS ends up with a final product
that makes me drool!

And one the best parts of watching Foose is seeing the relationship he
and his Dad (old-timer customizer Sam foose) have. Dad works right
along with the crew...and so does Chip on a lot of the shows.

He demonstrates his attention to detail and a lot of the subtle 'tricks
of the trade' like sharpening up detail body lines to make them "pop".

I hate their corny 'steal your car and trick the owner gags during the
week...but most of the time I thoroughly enjoy the show.  Coddington
can crawl back under the rock he belongs under...and Barry White can
sit on it to hold it down...that way neither of them can screw up any
more cars OR waste the time I could be watching "Pinks".

Bob (Foose can "Overhaul" my Avanti any time he wants!)

Re: Rags to riches TV show

One more reason why I seldom watch TV anymore.  When I do it's usually
history channel or such.  To quote "The Boss", "57 channels and nothin'
on".  That was a few years ago and the song remains the same..only the
number of channels has changed...
Studebaker George

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Yessir!
The only thing worse is the number of forums on the 'net... <lol>
Jeff

"Studebaker George" wrote...

Re: Rags to riches TV show

Jeff,Yes that's true about all the go no where forms on the net...
...But for my money this is the best on the ball group , on line here
now...never miss it cause I can learn something here...Real people
talking real stuff...and I get the latest weather news from everyone
here...so I know I am doing ok living in Cape Breton Island...

Lansing

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:49:28 -0400, "Jeff Rice"

Re: Wrecks to riches TV show

I wasn't slamming this forum.
I like it here (because I haven't been thrown out yet <lol>)...
I do read several, and enjoy them.
My only gripe is to see something asked here, and then cut and pasted into
three other forums..
Sometimes by someone wanting to be 'first', even though it was out there for
a while somewhere's else.
Simple peeve, but I am a simple guy....
Jeff (And Nate knows I am just joshing him <lol>) Rice

"ConcreteGuy" wrote...

Re: Wrecks to riches TV show

    That's bad enough, but how about the guys that get a good answer
here, then ask again else where ? I've even answered the same guy with
the same question on two forums, days apart.
     I don't mind the same posts passing on some information to try and
reach those that only read one or the other, I do that.