Rags to riches TV show

Page 1 of 2
Another show that will tick you off on occasion. Tonight I'm watching them rod a 6,800 mile Torino that still had the factory tires. It was a little painful to watch them cut and weld on the unmolested car. At
least it wasn't a Studebaker. <g> I know buying a car in that shape makes sense, but still sad to see them toss all the like new parts. JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com My Ebay items:http://www.stude.com/EBAY / 64 Daytona HT 64 Daytona Convert. 64 R2 4 speed Challenger 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk 63 R1 GT Hawk 63 Avanti R1/AC 63 Avanti R2/4 speed 62 Daytona HT 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk
Just watched it and turned it off. What a mess. Crappy colour, stupid looking amateur graphics, headers that are WAY to low, lousy looking exhaust, bad tire size choice/mix/size, Under-seat speakers (didn't know you could still buy those!) bad mix of old/new and a 7000 mile original car wasted.
Not impressed at all. Friggin' Coddington wannabe and Coddington's a goof.
Rob
John Poulos wrote:

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

Do you mean Wrecks to Riches?
Mark 65 Cruiser http://home.alltel.net/anderm
Rob Stokes wrote:

Yea.
Mark Anderson wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
I get a kick out of his recruiting outside slave labor under the guise of being on a cable TV show. Then they hype the value by quoting list price for everything (that was donated under the same schtic) Then they totally underblow the hours of labor it took to to the job.... And then the cars don't sell at the 'B' tour auctions.... I thought the 'in house' Camaro job was more representative of their combined talents.
He sells a retro-efi kit in the magazines (hat turns out to be built by someone else).. Lot of complaints about it on other forums.
My beef about almost all of these shows? There's no love for what's being done to that vehicle. Jst get it done, and get it out. Even Overhauling is like that. Lie, steal, and cheat....buit the end result will make you fake your surprise.
As far as the choice of what car to do on TV? Makes sense. How can you do all the work in the timeframe of a shooting schedule if you have to do hard stuff? They said they did the whole Torino in 200 hours. Shoot, it takes Nate that long to choose an oil filter <lol>.....
Jeff (I'll pimp my own ride...) Rice

I'm waiting for the day on Overhaulin' when a guy sees his pimped out vehicle and says, "That's not how I wanted it done... put it back".
Lee

I was thinking of N8 while working on his Daytona that sat here for over a year waiting to be finished. Last Sat I pulled the engine for underhood detailing and to replace the clutch. I painted and detailed everything and the engine goes back in this weekend. New tires are on the way, should be done next week. It goes a lot faster when spend your time working instead of pondering. <g> (Of course N8 has a regular job and a life too.)
Jeff Rice wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
You can say what you will about Nate...But he has a good friend in John P...
That makes all the difference for Nate...
Lansing
wrote:

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily
Oops, should have more clear that N8's Daytona, is now my Daytona. I may paint a part or two for him while he's at work, but I'm not going to spend a week on his stuff, I have enough of my own.<g>
ConcreteGuy wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Did some googling this morning about Wrecks to Riches. If you've seen many shows, you'll note that a gentleman by the name of Ardell Brown buys many of the cars that are turned out on that show. Ardell Brown is a very wealthy car collector. Look what he has in his collection:
http://www.britishmotorclub.org/2004/bbq/ArdellBrown04-1.jpg
Mark 65 Cruiser http://home.alltel.net/anderm
John Poulos wrote:

Damn. I was hoping if I left you to your own devices long enough my car would magically reassemble itself :)
I have gotten nothing ordered this week BTW, this "real job" thing is killing me. But I did talk to Dave T. yesterday and for all you '61 Hawk or bench seat Lark guys, he's working on a Hurst shifter for me and apparently just hasn't done one yet because he didn't have a factory shift lever to copy (I fixed that problem.) Reason I am using a '61 Hawk shift lever is because I would like to make my car look as close to factory as possible, so no bucket seats (yes, I KNOW that there were no 4-speeds in '55, but there are some things that just have to be done...) I didn't like the looks of the "recommended" Hurst lever for the bench seat cars, a little too "Ed Roth" for my taste.
nate
John Poulos wrote:

I did get your yoke from Lee and your rear seal is here. Leave me a list and I'll try and order stuff for you.
N8N wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

You already did Jeff, you already did. <G>
--
thanks, Jerry Forrester
Be sure to check out my eBay store,

I love it when they show his "designer" (Chris?) doing the concept drawings of what the car should look like when they do it. His renderings look like something my daughter would have drawn...when she was in the 6th grade!!!
Compared to Chip Foose, he's a rank amatuer...but that applies to a lot of us! At least Foose explains the color schemes he chooses and why he uses the subtle color fade and he ALWAYS ends up with a final product that makes me drool!
And one the best parts of watching Foose is seeing the relationship he and his Dad (old-timer customizer Sam foose) have. Dad works right along with the crew...and so does Chip on a lot of the shows.
He demonstrates his attention to detail and a lot of the subtle 'tricks of the trade' like sharpening up detail body lines to make them "pop".
I hate their corny 'steal your car and trick the owner gags during the week...but most of the time I thoroughly enjoy the show. Coddington can crawl back under the rock he belongs under...and Barry White can sit on it to hold it down...that way neither of them can screw up any more cars OR waste the time I could be watching "Pinks".
Bob (Foose can "Overhaul" my Avanti any time he wants!)
Jeff Rice wrote:

One more reason why I seldom watch TV anymore. When I do it's usually history channel or such. To quote "The Boss", "57 channels and nothin' on". That was a few years ago and the song remains the same..only the number of channels has changed... Studebaker George
Yessir! The only thing worse is the number of forums on the 'net... <lol> Jeff
"Studebaker George" wrote...

Jeff,Yes that's true about all the go no where forms on the net... ...But for my money this is the best on the ball group , on line here now...never miss it cause I can learn something here...Real people talking real stuff...and I get the latest weather news from everyone here...so I know I am doing ok living in Cape Breton Island...
Lansing
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:49:28 -0400, "Jeff Rice"

I wasn't slamming this forum. I like it here (because I haven't been thrown out yet <lol>)... I do read several, and enjoy them. My only gripe is to see something asked here, and then cut and pasted into three other forums.. Sometimes by someone wanting to be 'first', even though it was out there for a while somewhere's else. Simple peeve, but I am a simple guy.... Jeff (And Nate knows I am just joshing him <lol>) Rice
"ConcreteGuy" wrote...

That's bad enough, but how about the guys that get a good answer here, then ask again else where ? I've even answered the same guy with the same question on two forums, days apart. I don't mind the same posts passing on some information to try and reach those that only read one or the other, I do that.