Rear brake drum removal (AGAIN!)

Reply to
John Poulos

I've pulled more of those drums than I would care to count, and I have always used some heat on the hub portion of the drum to help things along. Best if you can get the hub up to 200 degF or so. That however may take more than a propane torch, but whatever heat you can apply will help.

I have only had one case where they would not separate and that was on an Aston-Martin. The design is essentially the same as that of the Stude, except disc brakes were used on the rear and the wheel splines are part of the hub. This variation on the design did not allow use of a torch, so as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the hub and axle were removed as an assembly. My 25 ton press would not separate the two, but the 100 ton press over at the Cat dealers finally separated the hub from the axle. The end of the axle was completely mushroomed, but the axle thread restorer tool sold by SnapOn did a good job of refurbishing the threads, along with a final chase by a regular die.

Reply to
randee

Missed that, yes indeedy, you do have to get those shoes completely free of the drum. Remember too that there may very well be a ridge on the outside edge of the drums that has to clear the shoes.

Reply to
randee