Rear hub and key on axle question

I'm ready to put the rear hub/drums back on the axle. The shop manual isn't clear about the assembly order. Do I put the hub/drum on first and then the key or put the key on first and slide the hub/drum over it?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

I have found that putting the hub on first and then sliding the key in is the easiest way. The other way can tend to push the key in if there are any burrs on the hub and because the slot in the axle is ramped towards the center of the differential it can ride up and prevent the drum from seating. Either way can work but I have favored the hub before the key.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Just to make things more confusing; I usually put the key in first, but in the threaded part of the axle. Then I "hang" the hub on it (key at

12 o'clock) and slide it on. Finally tap key in with brass drift or dull screwdriver. Sounds complicated but it keeps you from having to repeatedly R&R the drum if you shove it on and then realize that you don't have the keyway lined up just so.

nate

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel