Reedsville Rain or Shine

I will be driving my Avanti to Reedsville Friday no matter what the weather forecast. Never been there and it's only about 4 hours west of where I live. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of the NG posters and friends that have been so informative over the 11 years I've been assembling my car.

Also, if anyone has been contemplating an overdrive installation and would like to test drive a 700R4, Edelbrock carbed, R2 Avanti it would be my pleasure to take you for a drive.

Reply to
Ernie Rizzolo

To me it would be worth the trip just for a ride in that R2

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

Well it was "Shine" on the way out and "Rain" on the way home. Met some real nice folks, you know who you are, and picked up a few parts, including some flanged axles from Fairborn. Never made it to Max Corkins, next year maybe.

R5388 didn't let me down. I had it up tp 90 on the way out no crazy vibrations and got an actual 23.35 MPG cruising 70-75 MPH. Mileage on the way back was 18.85, this is from a 3.73 ratio R2. I was going slower on the way home but maybe the water and wind offered more resistance or the engine's sweet spot is closer to 2000 rpm rather than the 1600 or so it was turning on the way back at 60 mph. Maybe it was the weight of the parts that I bought. (G)

I forgot what a challenge it is to drive a 43 year old car on a rainy, humid day. Trying to get the right combination of heat, defrost, vent opening and rear window opening to keep the windows clear all the while trying to keep it in the lane, in the dark at 5:30 am demanded all my attention.

The only thing I never really had any real test miles on was the wipers. They don't move as quickly as they should but I slathered Rain X all over the front and rear glass before I left and if the wipers had stopped I still would have been able to drive. I know that because they DID, one time, about an hour into the drive. I turned them off the and the breaker must have cooled and they started up again. No incidents after that but I did drive a good hour in the dark with them off. Rain X did it's job. Found a few water leaks but nothing that hampered my comfort.

All > I will be driving my Avanti to Reedsville Friday no matter what the weather

Reply to
Big E