Request for help with SBC - OT

I plan to replace the 305 SBC in my 1990 Avanti. I'm looking to educate myself on 3 issues:

  1. What intake manifold would work best on a 383 while still utilizing the TBI (throttle body injection)? The block (#3970010) and heads (#441 w/76cc) come from a 1969 Corvette, TBI is a 1990 GM setup, obviously for a 305.
  2. What modifications to the TBI will be needed for the larger engine?
  3. Will I need to change the torque convertor in the 200-4R tranny, and if so, what would be best for daily driving?

Appreciate any and all help. Can't wait to hop this car up a bit.

Thanks, Rich

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78
Reply to
Rich

rustynutgarage

I would think the stock TBI is probably adequate unless you think you will be looking for high power when revving the engine at high rpms.

Here's some discussi> I plan to replace the 305 SBC in my 1990 Avanti. I'm looking to

Reply to
WayneC

Russ & Wayne - thank you guys for the links. I've been reading this evening and am now wondering if I shouldn't just purchase a stock TPI induction system from a junk yard and install on the 383. Seems it would make a torque monster! I'll read the links you provided.

Cheers, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich, One thing you need to check is the intake mounting bolts.Chevrolet changed the angle and number of mounting bolts used on the intake between the early and late heads ,but I cant remember the year. One way to get around that would be to use late model Vortec heads,which have a superior intake flow over the early Vette heads you have.They come in iron and aluminum versions.The iron heads are really popular with the hot street car guys.I believe Lee DeLaBarre has a set on his plow truck. Using the late heads might allow you to have a better choice of intake selections, you will have to look at a Summit catalog. Edelbrock makes a specific TBI Performer intake manifold.I would check its height dimentions to see if it will fit under your hood. Does the TBI off the 305 flow the same CFM as the 350 TBI?? Is the computer able to support a 350,as far as fuel and timing curve issues? You might surf the Chevy High Performance magazine web site and look for a little info on TBI stuff.

Reply to
Mertz Racing

Before you do anything check your local smog test rules and make sure you can meet them or find some way around them.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I appreciate the advice from everyone.

I have a subscription to High Performance Chevy. I'm not sure I did a good thing, but a friend was building a 383 for his wife's car and "stuff" happened. He needed money, so I agreed to buy the motor for $1700. I believe he did a good job building it. It has 1.94 - 1.6 valves, cam specs are .214-224 duration @ .50 with .465-.488 lift. He mildly ported the 441 heads and installed roller rockers. The lower assembly has been balanced. 9.5:1CR He offered it to me with a high rise intake, but I know that won't fit under the 90 Avanti hood. I'm tempted to go ahead and sell these heads to install newer Vortec heads and perhaps buy a whole TPI setup from the wrecking yard. Still concerned with clearance. If that doesn't work out, Karl Sparks recommends the Edelbrock EDL-3704 intake, my stock TBI and a Hypertech chip. However, I'm not adverse to keeping these heads. I'm mostly interested in torque and HP Chevy's test show the 441 heads are torque monsters. The long runners on the TPI produce loads of torque, too.

I feel like some sort of Studebaker/Avanti ambassador. I drive the

4-door Avanti everyday and am stopped/approached something like 80-90% of the time I stop. It's difficult to run a quick errand. I've been surprised at the number of women that ask or look at the car and the response from teens and 20-somethings. The Loewy styling of 1962 seems just as modern today as anything else on the road. Amazing......

Rich

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78
Reply to
Rich

that motor sounds fine...

MY eyes arent BROWN