Saturday Follies

(As told in my best Steven Wright voice impersonation.....)

I feel like I have been run over by the karma wheel ....

I am doing a side job for a friend (read that paying customer) to build the drivetrain up for his Ford pickup..

So, of course I take in another small side job from my neighbor who needed brakes on his Eldo.. I need parts, so I decided to take the yellow truck to the flaps..(This is Friday evening) Head out and didn't get a quarter mile from the house when my autonomic scan of the gauges reveals the truck is running on 7 or 8 volts. Whaaaa? Since I didn't want the truck to be a non-start at the flaps, I went back home and stole the wife's car...and parked the truck out by the shop.. I did feel the alternator case as soon as I got home and the case was real, real hot... Uh-oh... Finished the brake job easy enough early early Saturday morning...it was cooler outside on the lift. Amazing...new rotors are cheaper than cutting rotors nowadays.. Delivered the Eldo at about 8am and was paid handsomely for my efforts.. Then I went to the flaps and got a 'lifetime warranty' rebuilt alternator. Had two places test the old one... (First flaps had to order an alternator...yeah right..,,,,Seeya!) First flaps machine said it was putting out 8 volts, and the second flaps machine had all the 'BAD' lights come on all at once. ZZZZzzzzoooooooommmm...There went my brake job profits.... Had to take the alternator home to swap guts to my 'NateCase' shiny chrome alternator housing... And lo and behold.... The power stud that goes from the inside to the outside wad corroded and cooked. You could see the corrosion had built up a resistance. No wonder it got hot. Put it all back in and it runs like a Champ...er....CE... Not at all mad about it all... It happened at home, instead of on the road. I could fix it in the air conditioned shop on a workbench, instead of on the side of a road someplace.. And it was a money wash... So, maybe the Karma wheel just ran over my toes.... Jeff (and this was all before lunch) Rice

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Local NAPA charged $8.00 apiece for my brothers Jeep rotors yesterday. Are Eldo rotors cheaper than that?

Reply to
transtar60xxx

$18 each for rotors, and the new ones were $27 and $30 each... Jeff

"Transtar60 wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Man what a ripoff! Sounds like your local place doesnt want to get dirty messing with old rotors.

Reply to
transtar60xxx

Actually, it is the local flaps that have caused the problem. ALL the local flaps have gotten rid of their brake drum lathes and do NO more machining work. They refer you to the local brake houses, who still do this. When you go to the local brake places 'without' trying to buy brakes from them, they just jack up the price for turning. I would have dug deeper to find a place to turn the rotors, but my customer is finicky, and to him...new is better for that price. Jeff (Even if it was Chinese new......which it was...) Rice

"Transtar60 wrote.

Reply to
Jeff Rice