Saturday Follies (To The Extreme!)

This has been the most bizarre, roller coaster, emotional high to train wreck week of my/our lives.... I'll save the story for Monday, or Tuesday as not to jinx it before it has completed the full cycle... But needless to say, today is going to be a great day! My youngest daughter is getting married this afternoon (Woohoo!) Her fiancé has 'requested' that we bring the Yellow POS to the wedding. Why? Beats me. But who am I to argue. Any excuse to drive a Stude is a good one. Washed it real well last night and am currently 'rubbin' on it' (Ol' Dave's vernacular) with DWG... I even used the (B)Ionic stuff for good measure... Man, that thing was filthy underneath. Cleaned it better than I did for the SE Zone meet. (These points count more than SDC points.. ) Weather looks good (knock on wood) for the outdoor services.. Going to have a good day.. I can feel it! More later... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice
rustynutgarage

Congratulations from here, too, Jeff! I hope all went well and nothing shows up on America's Funniest Home Videos!

Reply to
TomNoller

I do have a meager supply on hand, and can still fill a few orders, but I would like to see oldcarfart get the Stude DWG business. Really, all I was doing was trying to keep a supply on hand for local car friends, and Stude folks. I can't seem to stay retired, and would rather see Calvin get the business, as that is how he is making his living. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com for all of your DWG needs!

Reply to
Dave's Place

Thanks Dave! I did not want to jump in , I have a good stock on hand but sell most from the website link at "

"

Enjoy!

Dave's Place wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Brian Scott

So, Jeff...has it completed full cycle yet so that the full story can be told? Don't keep us on pins and needles, man!

And CONGRATULATIONS again...what a beautiful bride she was! It's a good thing she takes after her Mom!!!

Bob (I, however, take full credit for both of my beautiful daughters!)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Bigbob62

OK, tomorrow morning.. It's too late tonight... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Well, to put it mildly... Never try to run toward, or away from the Karma wheel. If you do, it will run over you, or go flat. I'll skip the long and boring leadup to last week, and just regale you with the long and boring story of last week .. My house has been on the market for a while. It's a nice house, in a nice neighborhood. But it is an older house (by Florida standards) that was built 28 years ago. It has the original roof, that did not leak, but was due for a change. We figured that into the asking price, and even offered to escrow the money for a new buyer. The wife keeps the place 'Home & Garden" squeaky clean anyways, so the showings were all very positive. Good feedback, but no offers.... Several comments about the roof.. "Deferred maintenance" is what the realtor said. The last second calls for showings was driving the wife psychotic...and not getting any offers made that worse. We did not re-finance our ARM because we were selling...and of course it adjusted once (at the max allowable on the contract). Our youngest daughter graduated from the University of Florida with a superb GPA, and immediately announced her intentions to marry her sweetheart from when she was in high school. The wife was not amused, but could not change the tide of that estrogen hemorrhage.. We made some financial adjustments and decided to get some roofing quotes (again).. The prices of shingles has gone through the roof in the south and getting a roof can take up to 6 months. Roofers are that busy, and have the attitude to match. We settle on a roofer and a quote for $9800. I insister that we opt for the upgrade to the 'dimensional' shingles, which is all the rage in new homes and a selling point. The wife thinks dimensional shingles are a waste of money and they look like they are falling off from day one. The daughter wants her mother to make her wedding dress, and the mom says OK...begrudgingly. The wife makes the dress and gets 90% finished and while steam ironing a part of it, the iron spit some steaming hot water out and melted a part of the fabric.. The entire dress was taken apart and re-made... We had a week to get the dress 'just right'... The wife hosted the daughters wedding shower on Saturday and had the house all prettied up for the new in-laws, not to mention all the hosting stuff women do... The realtor called, and this upcoming week being the last week of the listing contract...wanted to get a flurry of activity in for 'looks' Called Thursday and had two showings scheduled for Friday, and three showings scheduled for Saturday. That meant the wife went into cleaning mode, and not wedding dress prep mode (add stress level here)... I had to work and when I was there I had to clean the shop for visitors, and help clean the house and yard. One couple really liked the place and hung around a long, long time on Saturday...right through another showing. You don't mind that, but you aren't supposed to be there when people are looking, so everything else that needed doing at home was at a standstill. Sunday I stayed locked in the shop working on Bud's pickup project (hiding would be a better word for that)... Monday morning I went out to feed at 6am, and our eating machine mare horse wouldn't move from the pasture. Uh oh.. We thought she had colic because she acted like she was having stomach pains. Called the vet and a neighbor came down to help us with a sick horse. The wife was terribly upset that one of her equine children was ill. The roofers showed up with a fleet of pickup trucks and started on the roofing job. They blocked up the driveway and made it so we couldn't get the cars out of the garage, so I had to get them to move everything and we parked our cars out by the barn. The wedding dress was still not getting finished. Several relatives called and announced that they could attend the wedding after all, and they would be staying with us at our place. The realtor calls and says the one couple 'might' put in an offer, but they 'might' want to come over for another look-see... The Fed-Ex and UPS guys drop off a buttload of boxes of parts for Bud's truck, and the wife has to hump them out to the shop before it starts to rain (which it never did). The roofers strip all the old roof off and announce that quite a bit of plywood needs replacing...at $50 a sheet (installed price).. The one roofer guy steps through the ceiling in the hallway. Why he was 'inside' the roof is beyond me. He said it was to put in the cross support nailers for the new plywood. The realtor calls and says he has a contract offer for the house, but he doesn't like it, but won't say why. The vet comes and takes X-rays of the mares feet, ad $$$ per x-ray. The realtor presents us with a contract offer (woohoo!).. It was a little low, but not bad. We added a few needed addendum items and countered the offer (up a bit)... The realtor leaves to contact the other realtor about the counter on the contract. The roofers have about a quarter of the roof stripped and open when the foreman had to leave and go somewhere else. The shingle truck shows up to deliver the shingles. The guy backs up the driveway and pokes his boom conveyor through the trees in front of the house, breaking off a big branch. The roofing crew stops work to unload and stack the shingle bundles on the roof. It starts raining like cats and dogs. The roofers scramble to put down tarpaper on the open sections of roof. They finally get the shingles off the shingle truck and the shingle truck pulls out of the now sopping wet lawn and tears the crap out of the yard on each side of the driveway. The roofers packed up and left because it was raining. They had a flat on their scrap shingle dumper trailer and didn't have a jack big enough to lift it because it was full, so they left this heaped full trailer in the front of the house. I walk into the master bedroom and see wet spots on the ceiling in about a half dozen places. Then I walked into the master bedroom bathroom and see that both sinks are half full of water and the countertop is soaked and the carpeting is sopped. The rain stopped, and the sun came out, like that mattered any. The realtor called and said the prospective buyers wanted to come over that night at 8pm to possibly sign the contract. I look outside and the sprinkler system had started (it's on a timer, and I don't have a rain shutoff..have to do that manually).. The shingle truck had smashed one of the sprinkler heads and there was a geyser out in the yard. I returned the realtors call and told him NOT to bring anyone over here and to set the meeting up somewhere else. All I get is his answering machine. We clean up everything as best as we can, expecting the prospective buyers to pull in, take one look, and not even slow down in the circular drive, and speed off into the sunset. Get a call about 8:30 from the realtor saying the couple had been delayed in south Florida and wouldn't get into town until late (but they never had the simple courtesy to tell anyone) The realtor lets me know that he has set up the meeting for 1pm the following day at the realtors office...(whew!) My daughter tells me that the grooms family really wants me to bring the yellow truck to the wedding. Wasn't planning on that, so I mention to the wife that if she doesn't want it to go I would make sure it was broken for Saturday. Surprisingly, she said that if they wanted it, they could have it.... (She was is dress re-making mode).. The roofing crew shows up the next morning. I gently reamed the foreman out and showed him the damage they were causing. I took my 20 ton Harbor Freight air/hyd bottle jack out and lift up their trailer so the could fix their flat tire. The realtor showed up with and says the people will be in his office later, and that I don't have to be there because I have already signed everything (good!).. The vet comes back and tells the wife that the horse has foundered and may die, or have to be kept inside in a stall for the rest of her life. The wife is heartbroken and starts asking about a backhoe, a hole, and a gun... (I know not for who...) I changed the oil in the truck and cleaned up underneath it while it was up on the lift. All the relatives show up and everyone set's out on the screen porch until O'dark:30 jabbering away (and nothing gets done).. The relatives get up and go swimming in the pool and the little tyke gets sick and is crying all day. The roofers never showed up at all on Thursday. The realtor comes over and tells us how hard he has worked to sell our house and how he has spent so much time making phone calls to sell it. The wife says she will instantly swap places with him and he can clean up the place for every freaking last minute showing the realtor has set up. He changes the subject and tells us how the potential buyers wouldn't sign the contract because the wife has a thing about the number twelve, and of course it was July 12th. She asks if they can sign the contract tomorrow, but the realtor says no. (I think that was because the listing expired on the 12th).. She kind of says Ok, then no deal, but the realtor says that they can back date the contract to the 10th instead. She acquiesced and signed the re-dated contract. The wedding preparations went off without any problems. The wedding was beautiful, if not hotter than heck, because it was outside and it was 95+ outside. The nephew took his daughter to the hospital to get her ear infection treated. They me a very nice sheriff's deputy and a prisoner in shackles while they were waiting at the hospital. My nephews wife held their daughter in a death grip, thinking that all of Florida was full of murderers. They nixed the boat trip down at Rick Courtier's place, as the sick kid wouldn't travel well. So they stayed at our place and relentlessly trashed the place. The wife settled down a bit after the wedding was over, her part successfully completed. I was a lot better knowing that I have to move this entire place in six weeks.....Yikes! We had fun. The bride was beautiful. The heck with the other stuff. It pains me to recollect it just to write this.... Jeff

"Bigbob62" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Been looking for my Home Depot back brace. . . if you need the help for the move. . . also will bring my pain killers (beer) for all the aches & pains.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Reply to
John Poulos

Oh...and it continues..... (or never ends...)...... Went to mow the grass this morning and the tire on the front of the riding mower looked low. That makes it steer hard so... As long as it was in the garage I figured I would put some air in the tire. Fired up the compressor and added air to the one rear tire. While screwing on the valve cap the entire metal part of the valve stem twists off the rubber part. SSSSSsssssssss...flat. Since the mower has solid wheels that are hard to get off, I just de-mounted the rim to put in a new valve stem. (A new stem that I don't have here and can't get the car out of the garage because the freakin' roofers dump trailer is outside the garage door while they finish the roof that was supposed to be finished last Thursday or Friday...) Soooo.... I get the tire off the bead only to discover the wife had sometime in the past filled the tire up with Slime... (I always wondered why we had a half filled bottle of that stuff around. I've never used that stuff.) After using a whole roll of (future sponsor plug inserted here) "Bounty!, The Quicker Picker-Upper! paper towels to push the slimy mess around and clean it off my hands....I started to search for an easy solution... So I look for a suitable valve stem out in the shop....No Joy.... But I did find a bigger valve stem out there so I am going to ream out the hole to that size.... I keep looking up for that cloud that is following me ... Jeff

"John Poulos" wrote in message news:wdudnWgNl_5oeyHZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Nah, your just under the edge of my cloud. . . that's been around for afew years now and is growing bigger. When it rains at my house it's pouring at yours. . . .

Reply to
Rick Courtier

I have tears in my eyes, from laughing... not at ya, Jeff, but with ya.

I can relate... I won't go into details, but had a similar experience when we bought this place... remodeling before the loan was closed, everything going wrong, an outdoor wedding at the new place, in the middle of remodeling, plumbing springing a leak the morning of the wedding... etc.

Boy, your story sounds familiar!

Thanks for sharing, I think I just got rid of some 16 year old stress!

Reply to
Dave's Place

Okay one important detail... do you have a place to move everything to now that you've sold your place?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud