Secret serial number - Page 3

Page 3 of 3

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Well, here is 49th. On the 100,000th I will use all the parts from the other running complete 59 into the incredable hulk (what is left of the 100,000th) and probably never sell it. I sure the museam would accept the car and all the documents if it is restored or refurbished and looks good. I am going to go down to 2 cars period. I have a 52 Commander 4 door, 64 fixed roof V8/FOM runner titled but needs mucho, the two 59's and a 56 Packard Executive 2 door hardtop. The 52 still has original interior gray color and parts and engine turns over. Anyone wants it for $1,000 let me know. 64 wagon $500. The two 59 wagons $2,500. I am gonna keep the Packard and which ever car does not sell (probably the 100,000th and running parts wagon) All serial numbers match the secret number on the back crossmember on the frame.

Bob Miles

That means that this post is #50! Prize please!!

Bob, I would restore the 100,000 Lark also to the best of my ability if I owned it. It is certainly a significant car!! I have noticed over the years that when cars are given to the museum, they do not always keep them. One year in South Bend they auctioned a bunch of them off.

bob m wrote:

Your prize is a collective raspberry.....<lol>

"Michael - Roseland FL" wrote...

bob m wrote:

Sounds like a plan Bob. You're not alone in the desire to thin the herd to simplify life. Eventually, such can be achieved even though it may be a bit painful...

JT

It is one's wallet that is doing the 'thinking' about that. JP already mentioned in a previous post about the difference between a genuine R-series car versus one that has been properly cloned. And going by previous history (and the dreaded BJ auction) of ALL numbers matching brand-X's, the difference is becoming greater, and you can bet Studebaker is not far behind. We can credit (or fault) the PBW and the Stude Tomato with the excellent latter day press coverage for proving that Studebaker made a genuine muscle car able to compete with the Big Three. (Too bad it took 40 years for Studebaker to get recognized as being a true muscle car contender; they really needed those sales in late '63!) On one hand, we give credit for these owners of cars to prove it on the track up against Yenko Comaros, and laud the excellent press coverage in MCR, et al, but now we are pissing and moaning about values climbing on genuine R-series cars over 'clones'??? What the hell do you expect? The 'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' line is going to apply; even in the 'used' muscle car market!! Since you can't exactly order one brand new, you have to find a 'real' one, and that takes diligent searching, and 'buyer beware'-type research when you do find a potential candidate. When one parts with that sum of $$, of course he wants a 'guarantee' of authenticity! So of course available resources are going to be tapped, including Production Orders, serial numbers (both the A-pillar plate and the secret #), and the engine number. The values of matching number versus non-matching number cars speak, especially when production figures are very low. One has to always keep in mind, it is the market that has come up with this standard; not Studebaker owners.

Craig

Well the reason I want to know where the secret serial number is that I have an Avanti with a Oklahoma rebuilders title. Well the original numbers that where on the front frame rail are gone. And in Oklahoma it was OK to stamp the number in the door of the fiberglass body. I can just see Kansas Highway patrol when they do their out of state vehicle inspection and all I have is a few pieces of non descript Oklahoma paperwork. It would really be nice to be able to point to the secret serial number when they ask "What else have you got?" By the way it is located on the X member of a Avanti? I looked before but haven't tried the sandpaper trick. Malcom

recall

using

that

in

from

either

car

it on

important

sold

that

so,

I haven't a clue. The crossmember where it was stamped on a "normal" Studebaker doesn't exist on an Avanti (replaced by the tubular thing.) If you get an answer I'd kind of like to know, just out of curiosity.

nate

Malcom Gillette wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The Federal government began mandating multiple number stamping (secret numbers) in '68 and even with that there are numerous instances of misstamped and missing numbers on unmolested cars. If the factories couldn't manage 100% compliance with number stamping under the threat of Federal fines, imagine what it was like with no government mandate. Collision damage early in the car's life is another issue, a frame component properly replaced years ago with a parts room part could be hard to spot.

Well, as I said, you could order frames from the factory and they would be blank, never saw anything about stamping them like they do the service blocks. To to show how fast and loose they were 40 years ago, look at this build sheet from the factory. Makes me wonder what they did with the frame on this Avanti and did the buyer know the history. It was built in early 62, converted to 64 styling, titled as a 63 and sold new in mid 64. Put that in your X ray machine and try and figure it out. Is it one of the last Avanti's built, one of the first, or both.

http://stude.com/0128.jpg

John Kunkel wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

John Poulos wrote:

Today, that would be totally illegal to 'update' a previous year's car and sell it as a current year model. The FTC clamped down on that years ago, as did the NHSTA which came out with a new set of rules every year which most all the automakers had to abide to including the month and year of manufacture on the data plate. (Some smaller companies such as Avanti and Checker did get exemptions, but the date of manufacture was still on the plate). And then later, the EPA had their yearly standards, so it be next to impossible now to get away with it. One thing I do remember from around 1986 was when Chrysler sold a large batch of (same year) K-cars as 'brand new' when in fact they had many testing miles racked up on them. It was later revealed they had their speedometers disconnected until the it was time to deliver them to the dealers. There were full 1-page newspaper ads that appeared not long after with Lee Iacocca's picture and a huge "I'm sorry" at the top with is apology below it promising never to do it again.

Craig

FWIW, KF changed left-over 1950 Frazers with a new doghouse to get the 1951 model. They may have even used 1950 Kaisers, too. Joe Frazer was kicked out about this time, too. IIRC.

Karl snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Yes, that was true with Kaiser-Frazer. The Studebaker 2R salesman's book reads "any new 2R truck sold after November 15th shall be titled as the following year's model". This would include a truck that may have sat on a dealer's lot for months and months. Then there were some reserialized '62 Diesels that were sold as 1964's...

Craig.

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

For Avantis - Studebaker Service Letter G-1964-3 states; "...for registration purposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964." This has led to many Avantis that should be considered to be 1963s titled as 1964s.

Oh, Lord! Kaiser-Frazer retitled everything! Studebaker was a piker in comparison. Of course, the business with trucks was straightforward, in that they just didn't change from year to year. Leftover 49 Kaisers and Frazers became 1950 models with a re-stamp. In 51, the last year for the old-body cars ("slab siders") and last year for Frazers, left over bodies--including Kaisers--became Frazers, which is why for one year only Frazer came in the hatchback utility model, Vagabond which had been a Kaiser only body for 49 (and 50) Then, in the new series of Kaisers in 51 and new for 51 Henry J, left over cars at the end of the year were fitted out with continental tire kits and other stuff, and sold as 52 Vagabonds, as compared to real 1952s which looked different with newer taillights etc Then in 1954, the left over 53s were repainted--after the 54 taillights and fronts were put on, they had to be as it didn't quite match up--and became 54 (early) Specials. When they sold these, later on there were real 1954s with the three piece rear windows and 54 interiors, called 54 (late) Specials. The Supercharged Manhattans were true 54s from the get go--until 55, then a hood chrome piece was changed to make them 1955... Jim Bartley on PEI 63 Wagonaire 49 Kaiser 86 & 87 Peugeot 505