sender unit for tachometer

Hi all. I am new to this chat room business. I would be greatfull for some info on the following problem.I own a

1960 Hawk that has been retro fitted with a 63 R2 engine JTS1072. When I purchased the car it had been fitted with a non standard dashboard with an extensive range of non Stude instruments. I am currently restoring the car & have purchased a 60 dashboard in good condition that includes the standard tachometer. My problem is: what do I do to marry up the 60 tacho with the 63 twin spark distributor with a sender that will work. PS. love the studebaker cars & clubs. They are very strong here in Australia.
Reply to
ross

I don't think you can, sadly. Unless you are determined to make this work, I'd probably just have the tach converted to modern electronics.

If you are bound and determined to keep the original "pulse drive" mechanism you may want to see if you can borrow a sending unit from a '56 Golden Hawk to see if it will fit. I believe that those used Auto-Lite distributors, and there's a chance that it may fit the later Prestolite units. However, I've never had a 56J and an R-motor in the same place to try this, so I can't say that it will work. I'm guessing, since I've never heard of this being done, that there's some reason why it won't work, but I don't know what it is.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Does anyone here have any experience with a modern tach that would work inside an R2 Hawk 6,000 rpm canister and retains the factory face plate?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I have modified a tach from ?? to fit a 63 Avanti. Worked great. I just kept shopping till I found one that was a near perfect match, except it was slightly smaller in diameter. I fixed that by placing a "mask" in the inside of the tach glass, and mounting the tach head in foam rubber inside the stock can.

One had to really look to detect the difference.

jim

Reply to
jimandkathiekrise

I wonder if it would work if you did away with the R2 distributor and used something like a pertronix unit to boost your spark. I assume a dual spark distributor is a dual point distributor. The only purpose of dual point ignitions was to get a longer dwell period. electronic ignitions can do that without dual points.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Still wouldn't solve his problem, the Stude factory tach senders were designed for an early non-window Delco distributor. They won't physically fit the Prestolite housing.

nate

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What about the tach sender off a '62 Hawk. The wireing seems fairly generic. I did not say simple. It hooks up at the coil. What say you my brothers in Stude addiction?

Tony in Austin

Reply to
Tony in Austin

That will only work with a 62-64 GT Hawk tachometer. The 56-61 (and '55 Speedster) tachs are basically mechanical tachs (really a speedo with a different face and no odometer) driven by a synchronous motor on the back of the housing. The "sending unit" is just a spacer that goes under the distributor cap that holds three brushes that alternately make and break the signal on two wires to the tach head so that the motor stays in sync with the rotation of the distributor. The 62-64 Hawk tach is an electronic type, although not the same as most of those currently sold. The "head" is a meter movement and the sender converts the RPM signal from the coil into a voltage to operate the meter.

Here's some info on the old "pulse drive" tachs:

GT Hawk tachs:

If you have a copy, the January 1980 issue of Turning Wheels has the best technical explanation of the GT Hawk tachs that I've seen.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, same solution. Get rid of the R2 distributor and get an early Delco.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

You might check here. I have a 1960 Hawk and had a Sun Tach that I always thought was stock. Well it was not. The distributor was replaced with a delco style distributor and the tach was replaced as well. I found this. SW-

82162B has the same bezel and style as the OEM. Have not ordered >OK, same solution. Get rid of the R2 distributor and get an early Delco. >
Reply to
ghcoe