So far so good, with cork

When I got my Cruiser, there was no gasket of any kind between the fuel sending unit and the tank. I figured, Hmmm, I'll just get some rubberized gasket material and cut out one to fit myself. It would have to be better than using cork, right?

It fit OK, but didn't seal worth poop. Found some cork material and cut two thicknesses of it, got it between the sending unit and the tank, and VOILA!

Only about half a tank of gas, but driving it across town hasn't sloshed any petrol out around the unit! None. Not even a gas smell.

If I can find some cork big enough to replace the 45 year old stuff on the sending unit arm, maybe all will be well in the gas tank department.

Dave, Sylvester, GA

1962 Cruiser
Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

sending unit and the tank. I figured, Hmmm, I'll just get some rubberized gasket material and cut out one to fit myself. It would have to be better than using cork, right?

thicknesses of it, got it between the sending unit and the tank, and VOILA!

petrol out around the unit! None. Not even a gas smell.

sending unit arm, maybe all will be well in the gas tank department.

Dave, you gonna be in Cairo? I'm hoping to drive the truck down and debut the new paint job...

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

Matt,

When is that?

I thought the next meeting was the 19th of May near Baxley...

Dave

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

The chapter meeting is the 19th. The Great Southern Antique Car Rally is a week from now.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

The Cairo show is one of my favorites. I have been attending that show for a very long time; might have even been to the first one (CRS prevents me from verifying that). Bunch of us from our area will be there. Matthew will have an "audience" to see his truck (if it makes it) and do some 'splainin... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Hey George, won't this be the first time you've seen the truck since I've had it? 'Bout time, huh? Lol.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

I'll be out of town. When folks have their meetings on holiday weekends, I am usually with my kids in North Ga.

Dave

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser