SPEEDOMETER PROBLEM

Hey guys, The speedo in my 56 Sky Hawk has been doing alot of fluctuating while driving. It has never operated smoothly; from 0-25 it jumps from 0 to about 35 in an even pulsation and when operating around 45-65 MPH sometimes it is smooth and steady and sometimes it fluctuates about

8MPH. While accelerating it can fluctuate as much as 15 MPH! I have pulled out and lubricated the cable and I can find no mentionable kinks in the cable shroud. Any suggestions on how to smooth out the speedo? By the way, if I rotate the cable by hand the head operates smoothly without fluctuating. The pinion gear is OK-no broken teeth and ditto for the gear in tthe trans. thank,

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Michael - Roseland FL

I agree with Michael. Once you have tried everything else, you will end up fixing the problem with a new cable. jf

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
GTtim

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
dougwhitesr

Thanks for the comments. Well I think it is difficult NOT to have kinks in the cable in this car. The hole in the firewall where the cable passes through is actually located too close to the left rear engine rocker cover which makes it necessary to bend the cable housing slightly to avoid hitting the engine. I've made the cable travel as gradual as I can, replaced the cable itself and lubricated the backside of the head (that the cable attaches to) and it still flickers. If I turn the insput shaft on the head by hand iti s perfectly smooth and even. I've replaced lots of speedo cables in the past and it has always corrected the problem, but this car has me stumped. I wonder if every

56 Hawk had the same condition?

GTtim wrote:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
reichsrundfunk

That cable that is hitting the driver's side valve cover is the parking brake cable, not the speedo cable. jf

Reply to
jerrystudebaker