Strange Stromberg WW Carb...

While checking my "treasure" during my recent trip back east, I stumbled on a weighty object and it turned out to be a Stromberg WW (later down draft with the choke housing on the base plate). The linkage is not quite the same as a Stude and there is a curious black electrical thingie screwed into the choke shaft housing just behind the choke thermostat housing. Does anyone have a clue what this could apply to? This carb is at least thirty years old.

Incidentally, I made the decision to toss it into my suitcase (checked baggage) and in Providence, you bring the bag (after checking in) to a point where it goes through the bomb sniffer. When it came out the other side (after spending a good five minutes inside), they opened my suitcase and were baffled by what it was. After some prodding they finally put it back where it it was (wrapped in a sweatshirt).

Ah.... The adventures of flying these days!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

bob m

they opened my suitcase and were baffled by what it was. After some prodding they finally put it back where it it was (wrapped in a sweatshirt).

__________________________ Ah, shame on ya for picking on TSA like that. I'll bet there really is (or once was) a way to blow up a plane with a Stromberg WW, at least one of which would involve actually mounting the Stromberg on the engine...now we're expecting these kids to recognize nitrocellulose mouthwash, anti-personnel nail clippers, and carburetters older than they are, with curious black electrical thingies to boot. But if we change to an Edelbrock, will the terrorists have won?

I once saw a teeny tiny brass Amal, with a velocity stack, from a chainsaw engine, that had been converted into a, I think they called it, "hash pipe." So you are doubly lucky, not to be accused of an "infernal device" and also to be free of paraphernalia charges. Fire her up, indeed.

Reply to
comatus

Probably '60's Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth

Reply to
transtar60xxx

That sounds exactly what I have. That might be an interesting alternative to the starter solenoid (for the ignition connection)...

JT

bob m wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Not to mention that I'm a white haired old fart, (Yes, older than Calvin by at least a decade which closely resembles decadance..)

Thanks for the chuckle!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

So I've been told but then the only Chrysler stuff I ever saw (and I'm lacking in knowledge here) had no active choke since they used a stove in the manifold. But, who knows?

I'll post a pic later today.

If it's for a Buick or Packard as has been mentioned, it might be "rare" and eBayable...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You might be describing a Buick starting switch. Look for a tag or a stamped model number at right front top of carb. The prefix number(s) identify what make of car the carburetor was made for. Some of the common ones are:

  1. Ford
  2. Dodge
  3. Chrysler
  4. Olds
  5. Stude
  6. Buick
  7. Nash
  8. Packard
  9. Pontiac
  10. Plymouth
  11. DeSoto
Reply to
Dwain G.

Yep... It appears that it is for a 58 Buick.

Thanks,

JT

"Dwa>

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

ROFLMAO!!!! " if we change to a EDELBROCK,will the terrorists have won? " Why do I think this is so funny? Because the ONLY thing the Edelbrocks I tryed wanted to do was backfire and set my car on fire!

Reply to
Mertz Racing