Studebaker International 1963 Dash Pad

Can the 63 dash pad from Stude International be mounted on the bare dashboard frame or does it need some existing padding to attach to? I want to get one, but there's nothing left of the old padding on my dash. It was so bad I had to completely strip it off the dash frame and throw it away.

Scott Rodgers

Reply to
scottlrodgers

If it is a NOS pad, it just glues to the metal of the dash. ISTR that you need to reuse a metal support somewhere in there however, but I have only seen one of these apart quite a while ago.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
scottlrodgers

It has to go over your cracked, old pad.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Hmmm... can you position it where it needs to be and fill it with expanding foam? (i.e. "Great Stuff" or similar)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Is it the same for the Avanti dash cover they sell or is it a repop of the original dash? I know that they were very prone to cracking. Thanks, Dave B.

Reply to
mcavanti

I took the old dash pad completely off to do mine. There was no way the fiber glass pad was going to go over the old one. Pictures here:

Michael - Roseland FL

Scott, You did good! You were going to need to remove the old dash pad anyway before the SI dash would go on.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Thanks Michael! I had the pictures of your dash on my laptop, but I couldn't remember where I dowloaded them from. It's good to hear that you removed your old pad completely. The installation looks great.

Scott Rodgers

Reply to
scottlrodgers

FYI-

I have a pretty good 63 dash I was going to put in my 63 Wagonaire:

It's just not as good as I would like the dash to be. If I can use the Stude Int'l pad on the dash frame in the car, I'll do that and sell this dash. I'll be using that nos Vanity (dyed a new color) not matter which direction I go.

Scott Rodgers

Reply to
scottlrodgers

Thanks Scott. I did not remove the instrument cluster when I installed it. I carefully trimmed the excess from the caps lip that goes around the instrument cluster with a dremmel tool and got it to slide over the custer. The fit is not as perfect as a nos pad would be, BUT it looks pretty darn good. I was able to buy a blue NOS vanity from SASCO and bought the burgundy die which is perfect match from Studebaker International.

My comment to Studebaker International was that the lip around the speaker cover needs to be dished in better for the speaker cover to fit properly. This was one of the areas I ended up trimming. If you just take your time it will work out just fine.

with>

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL