Studebaker machine shop building demolition - South Bend Lathe building.

Another article from the 1/15/08 South Bend Tribune online edition. This should be the building just east of SASCO's new place.

Copied and pasted:

South Bend awards contract to demolish former SB Lathe building Tribune Staff Report

SOUTH BEND -- The city of South Bend has awarded a $3 million contract to J&L Management Corp., of Mt. Clemens, Mich., to demolish the former South Bend Lathe building, 400 W. Sample St.

The company agreed to complete the demolition in 12 months.

Work will begin on the site later this month, as the contractor begins removal of asbestos, trash and other material from inside the 500,000- square-foot building. Demolition will begin in the spring.

The vacant former industrial building is located just across Sample Street from the South Bend Police Station. It is the largest and most visible remnant of the former Studebaker Corp. complex. Most of the other former Studebaker buildings have been demolished.

"This demolition will have a very visible impact on the entire area. It will open up the land for new jobs, new investment and new pride," South Bend Mayor Stephen J. Luecke said. "These sites will be reused as productive business parks where people once again can find employment opportunities in the central city."

Following demolition and environmental remediation, the city plans construction of a light industrial park.

The improvements in the Studebaker Corridor are funded by the city, as well as federal and state grants and loans.

The former South Bend Lathe facility was built in 1917 as a machine shop and engine plant for the Studebaker Corp., with additions in the

1930s and 1950s. South Bend Lathe moved to the site in 1965, after Studebaker closed in South Bend. South Bend Lathe stopped production on the site in 2002.
Reply to
keith_kichefski

more dangerous to leave him in ignorance of both. But it is very advantageous to show him both. Man must not think that he is on a level either with the brutes or with the angels, nor must he be ignorant of both sides of his nature; but he must know both.

419. I will not allow man to depend upon himself, or upon another, to the end that, being without a resting-place and without repose.

420. If he exalt himself, I humble him; if he humble himself, I exalt him; and I always contradict him, till he understands that he is an incomprehensible monster.

421. I blame equally those who choose to praise man, those who choose to blame him, and those who choose to amuse themselves; and I can only approve of those who seek with lamentation.

422. It is good to be tired and wearied by the vain search after the true good, that we may stretch out our arms to the Redeemer.

423. Contraries. After having shown the vileness and the greatness of man.--Let man now know his value. Let him love himself, for there is in him a nature capable of good; but let him not for this reason love the vileness which is in him. Let him despise himself, for this capacity is barren; but let him not therefore despise this natural capacity. Let him hate himself, let him love himself; he has within him the capacity of knowing the truth and of being happy, but he possesses no truth, either constant or satisfactory.

I would then lead man to the desire of finding truth; to be free from passions, and ready to follow it where he may find it, knowing how much his knowledge is obscured by the passions. I would, indeed, that he should hate in himself the lust which determined his will by itself so that it may not blind him

Reply to
keith_kichefski

January 28. 2008 6:59AM Story Toolbox E-Mail Archives SBT Photo Store Print Newsletter RSS Talk about it

A new chance for old ground OUR OPINION

The demolition of the former South Bend Lathe building will mark an important turning point in the city's long-time effort to clear the Studebaker Corridor for development.

The 500,000-square-foot building is the largest and most visible remnant of the former Studebaker Corp. complex. Most of the other buildings have been demolished.

The building was built in 1917 as a machine shop and engine plant for the Studebaker Corp. South Bend Lathe moved to the site in 1965 and stopped production there in 2002.

For years the city tried to find uses for buildings in the corridor. Sometimes there was success, but more often than not the old buildings simply couldn't be renovated into something useful. They stood vacant for many years, deteriorating and attracting squatters and scrappers.

Clearing the land is the first step in providing an environment suitable to attracting new business. Now the city must do all it can to attract developers to the site. Construction of the new Transpo headquarters will be a start in the transformation. And Don Inks, director of economic development for South Bend, expressed hope that some businesses that spin off the future research and technology park planned for construction near the University of Notre Dame could locate on the vacant land.

Redevelopment of the large site will require the cooperation of many players: the city, St. Joseph County government, the Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County, Project Future and local businesses and universities. Coordination of this effort needs to be aggressive, with responsibilities clearly understood by all concerned. There can be no question as to the importance of this undertaking to the economic future of the city and county.

Reply to
keith_kichefski