Studebaker market

I've noticed a trend in the last few years and it's the cars and collections coming on the market due to the owners death or health issues. I just bought a R2 Hawk from a widow yesterday, and am looking at a big Studebaker collection from a owner that's too ill to keep his cars today. There are more cars out there then I can afford to buy and the trend seems to be accelerating. I'm not sure if the new breed of Studebaker collectors will absorb all the cars coming on the market, especially the 'under appreciated' models. For example, I'm looking at the "flashy' cars in the collection today, but will only buy the bread and butter cars because I have to. The time may come when even the flashy car market is saturated, time will tell. I predict the values of at least some models may start dropping as our members age.

Reply to
John Poulos

The days of the traditional Studebaker collector that we knew so well for the first 30 years after the plant closing are ending. The new collector interested in our cars won't be as interested in the history of the company, but in styling and mechanicals. High performance models with proven pedigree will continue to fare extremely well. Landmark models, such as Bullet Noses, 53-55 C/K's and Hawks will also continue to do well because of their styling. Larks are widely considered "cute" and are a great entry collector car, no matter how you look at it. Avantis also seem to be improving their market position, somewhat a reversal of the stagnant trend of the past 15 - 20 years. An exclusive fiberglass four seat sports car has all the makings of a future winner.

Studebakers will continue to do well with tomorrow's collectors that don't want another 57 Chevy or 65 Mustang. The 400 point 1958 Scotsman Sedan owner won't have as many sale options as the 400 point 1964 Daytona Convertible. They never did anyway.

The number of modified cars at this year's Concours should have been an eye opener to all "Traditional" members of the Club. Originality is taking a back seat to comfort, convenience, flashiness and power.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford