Sunday Follies

Starting out great today! Getting ready to glue down the running board covers... Have about four full cans of spray adhesive to do the job (won't need but one I think)... Since these cans have been on the shelf for who knows how long, I decided to shake them up good beforehand... Since I don't know how much I am going to need, ALL the cans are going to get shaken up. Probably good for the shelf cans anyways. Have this can shaker wobbly thing gizmo that chucks in the drill press and a coil spring with a ring on the end holds the can in place on the bracket. I usually just hook the can in and pull down the drill press quill handle and hook the ring into the quill handle. It just sits there and shakes away. Have been using it for rattle cans for years. Saves on the ol' elbow... Anywhoo... It's shaking away while I sand on the running board to roughen up the surface and all of a sudden there's this 'CLANG' and I look up to see the drill press launch this can of spray adhesive like a live mortar round. The clang was the quill handle falling out (it vibrated loose). That let the can spin with the shaker and it reached escape velocity from the spring. It was like slow motion...watching that can sail gracefully across the shop toward the back window of the Hawk, the glass windows of the shop, and a bunch of other stuff. My thought was 'This is gonna be a pita to clean up...almost as bad as the gallon of primer lid fiasco, or the POR15 explosion.... There's this bonk, boink, bang, clink, clunk sound...and all is quiet (except for the whir of the drill press).. Shut that off and went a'hunting. Amazing.. Except for a little dent in the base... Everything is a-ok... No destruction...no pic's...sorry. That signaled an immediate coffee break. Jeff (hence the post) Rice

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Sometimes you get good luck when you're having bad luck

Reply to
Mark Dunning

Horseshoes, Jeff. Horseshoes.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Neat story. Did you do the hunting before or after you made the emergency bathroom run? Several years ago I had a glass contractor doing some work. When he saw my old cars he related an old cars glass story. Seems he had just put in a new rear glass in a '49 Merc (one that took him over a year to find). He was rolling down his overhead shop door when he had a big CLANG too. Only his clang was followed by a CRASH. The spring on the door had broken and launched its remains right through that Merc back glass. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
Robert Black

I often wonder why they don't use counterweights instead of springs for those damned garage doors...

JT

Paul Johns>

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire