That darn 3rd spark plug on the passenger side....

So I finally got the 3rd spark plug in the Hawk.

No, I didn't get it thru the passenger wheel well, although I DID take off that wheel and TRY!! Unfortunately, I found that I had to be MORE of a contortionist using THAT method than that of which I was capable. So, I thot, I'm gonna take off the valve cover and/or the heater. That spark plug IS goin' IN today!!

While I had the wheel off, I noticed that the brakes (at least on THAT wheel) were almost new but the wheel cylinder boot had rust under it...so it obviously needs a new cylinder (I guess 30 years is just too long without an overhaul!) I slapped the wheel back on and just about that time, my wife came out to bring me some icy water. It was so hot today in San Antonio that it seemed I spent more time wiping the sweat from my eyes than I spent working!

"Which one isn't going in?", she asked idly, as I guzzled the water. "Oh, that one you can't see-ya gotta do it by feel," I said, between slurps and dabbing my eyes. "I'm just afraid I'm gonna cross thread it."

She slithered her hand down the space and looked away...."Well, I think I could only get it about half way in", she said.

Sure enough, SHE HAD...Bless her little hands!! I couldn't believe it but I tightened it up, attached the spark plug wires, split ends and all and turned the engine over.

I had taken the gas tank to be cleaned but I had bought some gas a few days ago (before the price went down from $2.86 to $2.79!) . I didn't expect the fuel pump to work but I was ready with starter fluid, just to see if MAAAAYBE.....you know....well, it didn't!

No spark. Took off the distributor cap-points not opening very far. I had gotten a rotor, cap, points and condensor in Sacramento a couple of years ago...but by this time, even in the shade, I was REALLY just too hot and sweaty to continue.

Soooooo...I'm in here typing this. Gonna look for those parts and maybe go back outside and battle the mosquitoes a little later. I think this thing just MIGHT run!!

One thing, it has no throttle return spring. Dunno what length it needs, nor where to attach it. Oh well, think of it as an adventure....

Reply to
johnnywiffer

Throttle return spring(s) should go from the bell crank to the valve cover and from the carb linkage to a point near the radiator inlet (Should be a bracket with hole(s) in it) on the engine block.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
RoadRaceLark

Another good reason to marry a woman with little hands, eh, Calvin?

I remember you telling me what your grandpa told you.

Reply to
Dave's Place