The local County wants me to remove my cars. Any help in dealing with this? Legal thoughts?

I got a letter from the County today after basking in the glory of finding 3 new cars at the Petaluma auction. Now I have 2 weeks to deal with registration, and removal of cars on my property. I have some really sucky neighbors. I just had them out of the barn while I was changing some things around. They've been around my property for years, but lately I've been moving them around trying to organize. Please let me know if you have had any dealings with local gestapo. I need to do some more homework on what my rights are. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
salstude

Jacksonville, Fl. was trying to pass ordinance that even cars stored in garages needed registration, current tag and insurance under the idea of "cleaning up city image" but really only enforceable to law- abiding citizens. It was the final straw in me making a full & permanent move over a second home in mountains. Check with local car clubs, low volume used car dealers, etc. for loopholes. Good Luck!!!!!!! Calvin.

Reply to
oldcarfart

When it comes to push to shove... Constitutionally, they are very shaky ground (pun intended). You should be grandfathered in.

Are you located in the country (or was it country when you move there)?

How big a piece of property do you have?

JT

(Of course, I could use a decent set of front c/k fenders 56/58...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah... Whatever happened to the "pursuit of happiness?"

Bastards are what they are!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Just like Calvin. I had the same problem In Jacksonville back in the seventy's Just didn't take me as long to move to the woods of So.Ga. now all I have to worry about is Florida hunters shooting them up. NT

Reply to
nthornton

One of our members who has 100 or so real junkers sitting around was forced to get a salvage yard permit some years ago. He is in the country on 50 acres. Even so, depending on your zoning and such, a permit might work. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

First of all give us some more info. Are you in unincorporate county? Where are you located? Were the cars stored inside and you had them outside to reorganise and al the cars are back inside? This is an reorcurring problem all over the country. Only the people that have the problem and that is a relativily small percentage of the population are interested in doing something about it. One state (maybe South Carolina) the carclubs were able to get the state to leave old car people alone. There was an orginization in Michigan called "CARZ" "Citizens against represive zoning" In California there was the California Car Clubs and many other groups that never coordinated their efforts. SEMA Action Network

doing a great job of notifying people of pending threatheninglegislation etc.

Lets hear from everyone what they know and how to help. Robert Kapteyn snipped-for-privacy@mac.com .

Reply to
RBK.

The best advice is always cover vehicles that are left outside. Out of sight, out of mind. I sure your states motor vehicle laws apply only to vehicles driven on the highways. Contact an attorney, seems to me using the MV Code, in enforce zoning regulations, can not pass muster.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Yep... BTDT.. Had a few 'visits' about me keeping cars outside in snotty 'horse country' Ocala... Seems I didn't fit their image..(Imagine that, and I have horses, too ) Jeff

Just like Calvin. I had the same problem In Jacksonville back in the

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I'm sure it's completely different in every venue:

I formerly lived in an "upscale" Cleveland suburb.........maximum 3 doors to a garage.....no trailers, motorhomes, boats, etc. parked outside and EVEN UNUSED CARS KEPT IN A GARAGE HAD TO HAVE CURRENT REGISTRATION.!!!

I'm now in the country - a rural county - outside any city,town or village......governed by Township laws. No manufactured housing or mobile homes allowed, even in the sticks. I moved here 15 years ago and when the neighbors (closest one is 1/2 miles away) found out I like Studes, they said it was too bad I hadn't arrived a year early.......guy who "lived down by the corner of 653" had a bunch of Studes but the County made him haul them all away to a boneyard unless he could make them all driveable.

So it's however local government has written their statutes.........not much we can do if they have it in the books. But like everything else, regulations are put in place when someone abuses the rights of others......and we all suffer.

JJCJr

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

It wasn't the car it was the color

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Rick's right. Pink Coupe Expresses aren't welcome on my street either. :)

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

I'm in Sacramento County CA. I'm in a rural area zoned for agriculture. I think the zoning is RD 2. I'm on a couple of acres. I have a couple cars behind the barn which are hardly noticeable from anywhere, but I had cars out of the barn while I was in a reorganizing mode. They've been out front of the barn for about 2 weeks while I was doing some work inside the barn getting ready to move them back in. Anyhoo, if anyone has any more info, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Reply to
salstude