Tie rod / reach rod advice needed

Hi all,

I've been taking apart the front end on my '63 Lark, and I simply cannot remove one tie rod and the steering reach rod from the bellcrank. I've beat on 'em with the pickle fork, tried a 3-jaw puller (keep slipping off) - nothing. In desperation (because I needed to get the center pin out), I just pulled the pinchbolt and took the bellcrank off the pin.

Do you guys have any advice for how to separate these damn joints? I'm really out of patience and ideas.

Thanks,

Clark in San Diego

Reply to
showbizkid

This has worked for me in the past:

  1. Make sure the rod end castle nut turns freely on the stud; free it up before proceeding. Reason being, if the castle nut is real stiff on the stud, and you succeed in freeing the stud from the bellcrank, it can be a b*tch to remove the nut afterward.

  1. Run the castle nut JUST flush with the end of the thread.

  2. Hold a BFH up firmly against one SIDE of the eye.

  1. Swat the eye firmly directly across from said BFH with a slightly smaller hammer. Repeated blows are usually required. Don't be alarmed if you get a few hammer marks on the eye. The hammer blows cause the eye to distort elastically, and the force tends to act on the tapered stud to force it out. You can't really distort the eye beyond its elastic limit, because the stud is there.

This almost always works.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Reply to
Jim Bradley

Thanks, Gord. I would never have thought of that! I'll give it a try.

Clark

Reply to
showbizkid

I quit using the pickle fork years ago in favor of the (el-cheapo) JC Whitney tie rod removal tool as shown in the upper catalog cut. It works great and doesn't mess up the rubber boot. It probably wouldn't be tough enough for a professional mechanic, but works fine for us shade tree guys. You slip it on and tighten the bolt and "pop" the tie rod end is off. Here is the web link:

.

Reply to
Dan Peterson

Wow! Never seen one of those, but it sure looks like it would work. I don't care much about the boots because all new tie rod ends are going on, but I sure don't want to mork up the reach rod end - that's a part I don't want to search for.

Thanks!

Reply to
showbizkid

I used to have a heavy duty version from either Snap-On or Proto. Don't remember which now. Haven't seen it in years so I suspect I loaned it to someone and have long since forgotten whom. But then again, I never really had a problem with my Proto pickle fork either.

-- af.

Dan Peters>

tie rod removal tool as shown in the upper catalog cut. It works great and doesn't mess up the rubber boot. It probably wouldn't be tough enough for a professional mechanic, but works fine for us shade tree guys. You slip it on and tighten the bolt and "pop" the tie rod end is off. Here is the web link:

randee

Hey Dan, you were right - I got my puller from JCW on Saturday and went out and POPped the tie rod right off the bellcrank! That's the good news. The bad news is, it's a cast iron tool, and when I tried to pop the reach rod off the bellcrank too, one of the tool's ears busted right off. So I sent it back for a replacement; hopefully the next one they send me can loosen that rod before it dies :)

Clark

Reply to
showbizkid

Clark, That's got to be one mean reach rod. I wasn't sure about the ability to get at the reach rod end with the JC Whitney tool, are you sure it was on good and square. I believe some of the premiuim tool makers, (S-K, Blackhawk) also make tie rod removal tools, you may want to check them out. Let us know how you come out. Dan

Reply to
Dan Peterson

Hey Dan! Thanks very much for the advice. I got the tool and even though the first one broke (cast iron had a stress flaw), JCWhipme replaced it n/c and

10 minutes ago I finally got that SOB reach rod free of the bellcrank.

Thanks a ton! Always feels good when you prove your mastery over the inanimate ;)

Clark

Reply to
showbizkid

It worked! I got my replacement tool, stuck it on and gave it a few cranks, figured I'd let it set overnight under pressure and was packing away my wrenches when SPANG! Off it popped :) Thanks for the help!

Clark

showbizkid

I have 2 sizes of "pickle forks" that fit into my air hammer and the vibration helps to "get them off"

Reply to
oldcarfart