Tire clearance question

Has anyone had any experience running P235R75x15 tires on a Lark-type Studebaker? I used them on my '64 Avanti with no clearance problems (other than bumping the wheel opening on a hard turn with a bump), but Larks have an entirely different wheel opening). I would like to use that size on my '64 Daytona convertible, but don't want to buy some only to find they don't work (I'll be mounting them on six-inch Magnums). Thanks, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Honestly Paul, I haven't found ANY 15" tires that would fit without rubbing at full lock on my '62 Daytona, but a '64 has different front fenders, so....?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Watch the clearance with the outer tie rod ends. Have had a early Lark rub here when cornering.

Henry

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Someday I'll learn to proof my posts. I meant 225x75, not 235. Thanks, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Paul I am running 215 75 X 15's on the front and 225 70 X 15's on the back of my 1960 Lark and have had no rubbing at all. I did have rear leaf springs rebowed and added a new leaf. I have done nothing with front except for new shocks. I am also, using Cragar SS mags.

Reply to
Arkieiowa

Those seem awfully large for any Stude except maybe for a truck. I have

235's on the T-Cab and really wish that I had stuck with 225's.

The only 15 inch 75 series tire that I had any success with on a Lark were 205x15x75.

JT

Paul Johns> Has anyone had any experience running P235R75x15 tires on a Lark-type

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... And, I should read *all* the posts before replying!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Paul,

I'm running 205R75X15 Firestones on 6" steel wheels on my '64 Daytona. Works well, rides nice, and the speedometer is pretty close to the mile markers.

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> Those seem awfully large for any Stude except maybe for a truck. I have

Reply to
Jim Bradley

I have had those, 205x75x15, on a 64 lark and they worked well.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I have 215-75X15 on my 61 with the newer steel wheels. The only clearnce problem I have had was the inner side wall hitting the outer front grease fitting. I replaced the fitting with a plug and keep the fittings in the glove box with a note to install and remove for greasing.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 531 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

If you can find 51 (52-53 may work too) Studebaker wheels they are 5 inches wide across the beads and they are heavier then the Lark wheels - they should take care of clearance problems especially on the front - only drawback for some is that the center is riveted to the rim and some leak. When I had my 51 I coated the inside of the rim with epoxy and I was able to use tubeless tires without any leaks.

Paul V

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

Front tire fitment issues can be a real pain in the ass, my best fit was using a stock early Stude Lark or pre-'53 steel wheel. Rear fitment is enhanced by using a four wheel drive (4WD) offset (positive offset? IIRC "iN is Negative, as in camber adjustment (iN at the top)). I use Jeep Cherokee or Ford Exploder (not miss spelled ) and you can put some healthy rubber in the rear as it tucks it in towards the leaf spring.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

I believe those wheels lasted at least to '56; possibly later. The '58

14" wheels were actually 5.5" wide IIRC.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The wheels on my '57 Clipper wagon are 5.5".

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I put '55 Prez wheels on my old '63 Lark and it was a very significant improvement. 205x75x15 tires looked like they fit right!

JT

Paul Villforth wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I used 7" Centerlines that were custom made for me. If it doesn't fit it's my fault.

Wiz.

"blacklarkviii carolina.rr.com>" I run 215-70x15 on my 59 Lark and had no clearance problems at all. Old

Wizard of Oz