Too much ebay

Check out this kids, mom's house

John Poulos

I'm waiting to find some place like that filled with car parts and I get to handle the estate sale. ;)

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Here I sit counting my blessings Tons of shit I don't have to be a-messing

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

This kind of behaviour isn't funny, it is a sickness. I have a friend that I rarely see anymore due to his being one step away from the loony bin from this disorder. His "disease" has progressed to where he can't throw away even the smallest of things. He spends his days looking for junkpiles on the side of the road or rummaging through dumpsters. You can't get close to his house or yard and he has also filled up several of his relative's houses and properties. If you say anything to him he gets almost violent. That is what happens when you let such behaviour go unchecked for a long time. The family will have to spend a fortune to clean it all up when he ends up in the "bin"; they (and I) are sure it is not far from happening. Here are some of the details of OCF Hoarding:

Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kidabout is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are mostlikely a few of us who are "borderline"....Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kid> about is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are most> likely a few of us who are "borderline"....> Studebaker George

yeah, I had a neighbor like that. She got old enough she couldn't take care of the place anymore, so I would drive down every couple weeks on the tractor and mow the yard, make sure there weren't any broken windows on the barn, etc. Poor lady was very nice but had stacks of newspapers, grain sacks, doog food bags, etc. all throughout the house - if it wouldn't rot she'd saved it.

i heard that it took her family a good while to clean the house up for sale when she actually moved out.

nate

Reply to
N8N

They announced yesterday that Ebay is now on the docket for the IRS and legislators.

06082316 (old) Ebay has started the lawsuit process to have the new tax legislation rules illegal. Ought to be interesting. Jeff (Especially when the flea market lobby spins up! ) Rice

"Studebaker George" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Looks like the typical college professor's office.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

There has been rumors for years that E-Bay and the IRS have partnered up to monitor online sales. Probably only the people with online stores need to be concerned... I can't imagine anyone being audited because they sell a dozen items per year... but for the guy who sells hundreds of items a week, I'd probably make sure I kept accurate records.

I'm expecting the day to come when you have to pay sales tax on all items purchased online.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That's the most extreme case of "packrat" I've ever seen. My Mom keeps a lot of stuff, but she has 2 garage sales a year to make room for more stuff she gets later. (notice - I didn't say 'buys later' - some of it is given to her, some she finds - nothing is stolen)

I rented a house like this once (not as bad) - the original owner collected all this junk (mail, trash, etc.) and put in the garage and basement, and the daughter (who rented to me) wouldn't clean it out even after her mom had been dead 40 years!

Of course - when I moved out they couldn't find another renter who would fix up the house for them (it was cheeeeaap rent!). The city demanded they clean it up, or sell it. I helped them sell most of it in an estate sale, and when I cleaned out the house later they gave me the rest. I've been selling all her mom's antiques on eBay ever since.

Reply to
zoombot

Why do you think I have not been active for the last three months. We moved my mother in here, with the promise we would bring all her stuff.

We got all her furniture, all 33 lamps, four victorian love seats, two victorian dinning room tables, plus 177 huge boxes of STUFF, you can spell it differently.

My old lady made the woman in that set of photos look tame, at least her's is large stuff, my mother's stuff is small stuff, but tons of small stuff.

We gave away 17 wardrobe boxes of clothing and threw away 13 wardrobe boxes full of old clothing..........all smelling gross.

Elen and I are disgusted with what my mother spent her money on, and what she thought was "valuable". Pisses me off.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I just ran down to the basement to start cleaning up. I found parts to cars that I haven't had in years. I am now putting Studebaker stuff that doesn't fit my 57 on a box in the hopes that somebody at York could use it! John, those pics were very, very scary!! FlatheadGeo

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

And here I was one of people wondering about the number of cars you have in inventory

Jim Bartley on PEI--I should talk!

94 Corolla, 88 Jeep Wagoneer, 87 Peugeot Turbo, 86 Peugeot Turbodiesel, 75 Boler, 63 Studebaker Wagonaire, 49 Kaiser
Reply to
George Mills

Damned! I thought that surely "OCF" was a slam on Calvin...

JT

(I ain't quite in that category.. YET)

Studebaker George wrote:

Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kid> about is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are most> likely a few of us who are "borderline"....> Studebaker George

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kid> about is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are most> likely a few of us who are "borderline"....> Studebaker George

sonna-da-bitch!!!!! They named a foundation after me!

Reply to
oldcarfart

> Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kid> > about is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are most> > likely a few of us who are "borderline"....> > Studebaker George- Hide quoted text ->

I have been cleaning up for moving, I am finding stuff I did not remember even buying!

Reply to
oldcarfart

>> Our little "collecting" of Studebakers and/or parts that we all kid>>>about is NOTHING like this type of sickness...although there are most>>>likely a few of us who are "borderline"....>>>Studebaker George- Hide quoted text ->>

And on this side of the coin, I cannot find my Skilsaw or rear hub puller.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Emailed a friend of mine (Pat D knows him) His quote is:

"I think that Stude owners need more sunlight. We spend too much time in the garage."

Bud Alenik 2-20-07

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

Yeah, he was pretty pale last time I saw him.

Jim Turner wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I think that a lot of people that lived, as adults, through the depression and WW II have a problem with throwing anything out that is deamed to have value.

I have spent a year cleaning out a house similar to this (with no help from eBay on input or output). I took about 50 cartons of stuff to my home, used a local auction company to sell about 100 items, gave big items to the Salvation Army, filled the 90 gallon trash container every week, had a yard sale, used the village trash pick up day, used

1-800-GOT Junk, etc. When I sold the property, most people would have thought that I hadn't started on the basement, attic or garage, but I had. The main living level of the house was basically emptied.

The family lived in the house for 65 years and only moved from three blocks away then. The house had things from a span of over a Century.

The house pictured does appear to be someone with a true mental illness, not just a long time of accumulating or refusing to throw things away.

Reply to
studegary

I sort of know what you mean.. When I bought the place out in the stix in Illinois it had been a farmhouse for 90 years.. And every piece of crap was still there somewhere. I filler THREE 20 yard dumpsters with junk (and it was junk).. Had a $700 garbage bill for the first month... Yikes! Moved to Georgia and am still cleaning stuff out. But there is an 'unattended' recycle center about two miles from my place. I have taken several trailer loads of stuff over there. Jeff

"studegary" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice