Trans swap question

I have finally gotten around to putting a 700R4 into the Hawk and I am having some difficulty with the starter clearance. The instructions said to use a Ford starter, which I tried, but when I turned the wheel the power steering unit hit the starter and wouldn't let the wheel turn all the way. Anybody have any ideas? Different starter, what? I don't want to lose the power steering.

Don Watson

61 Hawk.
Reply to
Don & Kathy Watson

Can't answer directly, but there are hi-torque mini-starters on the market, so there may be one made to replace the Ford starter you are using.

WayneC

Whose adapter kit are you using? Steeltech, or Meyers? Jeff

"D>I have finally gotten around to putting a 700R4 into the Hawk and I am

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

depending on whats used.. the one I seen is a 2 bolt.. with 1 threaded hole in the nose of the starter. MOUNTED UPSIDE DOWN..

the old number of it was a 3207, but I imagine thats been replaced with some other number..

thats what is used on friends car.. yours may need a different number entirely.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
Don & Kathy Watson

Reply to
Don & Kathy Watson

I had a similar problem with the Steeltech kit and a 200R4. I had to put a bend in the pitman arm to clear the starter.

S2DSteve