Truck Rear End Specifications

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all the input on replacing the rear end in my '51

2R truck.

I found a couple good used 9" rear ends from Fords locally, and also found a shop in Iowa that will build me a unit using a reconditioned center housing, but everything else is new. The will build it to my specifications including perch width, shock mounts, gear ratio, and new axles, posi-traction, bearings, seals and the works. This at $1600 delivered to my door in California. This is about $1200 cheaper than a similar unit from Curry.

I am thinking about going that route, but I could modify a used one myself by moving the perches and putting in new gears.

Does anyone has the following information?

- Spring Perch angle relative to the input shaft?

- Width of the stock rear end outside drum to outside drum (right where the wheel bolts on)?

I do not have a stock rear end to measure so I am a bit at a loss on how to get that information. I will need it to spec out the rear end should I buy the custom one, and also for moving the perches on a used one if I go that route.

Thanks! Allen

Reply to
Allen Siekman

If you go the used route, have a shop do the spring perches. I tried it myself and warped the tubes. Had to have the tubes cut off and repositioned. It's not too expensive to have the perches done right.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought you already had a Ford rear under your truck? Why not simply grab a new center section from a junkyard, replace the bearing that grenaded and keep on driving? or are you attempting to correct the bolt pattern at the same time?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

a properly adjusted 4 barrel is FAR BETTER in economy than a 2 barrel. emphasis PROPERLY adjusted, and to ME that means having access to certain equipment and re jetting down to the best level of fuel/air mix for the BEST possible economy.

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to