Tuesday Follies (ot)

Have to make a run down to Florida to pick up the milling machine and various other stuff that is safely setting at a friends place (on a trailer).. The trailer has electric brakes, which is a must because of the weight involved.... But my GMC has no brake controller... Just some funky patched in trailer light stuff. I called a trailer place down in Ocala and got a price for them to fix me up when I was down there. They said it would be $160 and I had to have an appointment. I said I would be there at 10am tomorrow... "Oh no, we can't do that. Come in after 2pm and we will 'try' to fit you in"... I politely told them "No thank you, I will call your competitor and have them do the work in the morning", and hung up on the arrogant sob. So I called the local (Statesboro) Chevy/GMC dealer and ask them if they have the OEM plug in cable for the brake controller... The wiring loom to the rear is already there, just never used....yet. Of course they didn't have it, but they were good enough to refer me to a dealer in Sylvania that did have one. Soooooo... I ask the wife if she'd like to run up to Sylvania to get the part. She said 'sure thing', so if we went. I stopped in at a Discount Auto Parts and got a new 7 wire OE plug adapter that plugs into the OE wiring harness. That was $25 all by itself. Go over to the Chevy dealer and pick up the harness plug in. That was $27 all by itself. Took the wife to lunch at Papa's Kitchen. That was $12 for both of us (country buffet....good eats!) So the trip to get the parts, and all the parts cost me $64 (I have two controllers already).. After we got home I had it all installed in about a half an hour. Think I should be happy for saving all that money on the truck? Think again. The wife took me to two furniture stores, where we spent $1750 on new furniture... But... I am happy. The store gave me a bit of a discount for humorous negotiations, and they gave us free delivery and set up.. So I don't have to lug in that big stuff and set it up. Sigh... It used to seem like everything would nickel and dime you to death.... Then it was $20 you to death... Today it seems like it is $500 a pop until you drop... Double sigh.... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice