Turning rear drums?

I took my rear drums in to O'Reilly's to get them turned and they said they couldn't turn them with the hub on. This doesn't make any sense because they turned the front drums with also have a hub. They also said that they couldn't turn them with the hub off the drum. Is there any reason why they can't turn them with the hub attached?

Dazed and Confused, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

You need to find a better place than O'Reillys to get your parts worked on.

Try the yellow pages surely somewhere in your area, someone can turn your drums with the hubs in.

I had to have my 1 ton's drums turned by a place that specializes in big truck/trailer work.

Tim Ulrich wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

Most "modern" brake lathes have a spindle that is too big to go through the center of the hub. If you have any older brake shops in your area they MAY still have a lathe that will handle the whole assembly. The older Van Norman machines could do it although most are long out of service. Worst case you have to go to a machine shop or remove the drum from the hub. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Go to a shop that does front wheel drive brakes. Most of them should have the adapter that will handle the small hole in the hub.

Henry

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Reply to