Turning wheels

The new issue has a picture of a train wreck on the inside back cover. The trains seem to be carrying new Studebaker bodies from about 1953-55, stood on end. No apparent frames or running gear. Where would these have been going?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Believe the info provided in "About the Covers" on page 16 should answer your question.

Richard Quinn

Reply to
rtq11

Reply to
Transtar60

I did not see the story about the wreck, but if I may, I can shed some light on bodies and trains. In the 80's and 90's we manufactured and also printed model trains for a number of manufacturers. In doing research we got our hands on a copy of the Pennsylvania Railroad Lettring Diagram Book. The PRR had 50 foot Double Door Box Cars, that were totally dedicated to Studebaker and Budd. While I cannot say these cars were used for 53 and up, I can say that Budd either made total bodies or full body components. These box cars we labled, "Dedicated to Studebaker Motor Corporation, South Bend Indiana, When Empty Return Via Reverse Route To Budd Co., PRR, MIDVALE Pa.. The box car Series was PRR 4800 series, and were built March 1939, refurbished April

1953 and repainted December 1958. Looking at the photo on the inside Back Cover, those bodies were in ATSF (Santa Fe) Gondolas, with reporting marks showing the 7000 series. Those gondolas had bulkheads and looked to be dedicated to carrying fresh stamped/assembled bodies.

Considering earlier photos of Studebaker box cars, which contained a bit less in bodies, it is no wonder that they came with factory installed rust. They should have nevr been exposed to the elements like that. I have a HO scale kit produced in the late 70's of a 60ft Flat car, that came with 50 auto frames lashed to the deck.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Interesting. So, was anything made in the Southgate plant, or did they just assemble parts from South Bend? Doesn't hardly seem worth the trouble. Why not just build the complete car and then ship it?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno