V8 Exhaust Manifold Bolts...

Does anyone know if the original type are still available?

Thanks,

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Just an Grade 5 bolt, some were stainless steel. Some were 3/8 x 16 x 1 5/8 inch others x 1 1/2 inch long. A plain 3/8 washer was used with the 1 5/8 long ones, a 3/8" shake proof washer with the 1 1/2 long bolts.

Grumpy AuC> Does anyone know if the original type are still available?

Reply to
Transtar60

is a good place to look for them.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I substituted the originals a lot of year back but seem to remember that the originals were an "1/8" length while most commercial choices are to the 1/4"

I'm freshening up a 259/Flight-O-Matic out of a '60 Lark to transplant into the '55 Prez sedan and most of the manifold bolts were snapped. The engine internals seemed pretty good as it only had a total of 71K on the odometer.

I'm now in the process of re-assembling it in the Texas 100+ heat!

JT

(Who gives it about three or four hours a week tops!)

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm sure that I can get bolts locally but just wasn't sure on the size.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah, I believe that I used stainless bolts back in the 1980's when I refreshed the Avanti engine.

Normally, the original bolts hold up well (in my experience) but this episode was different...

JT

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire