Vendor Experiences - Engine Rebuilding

I am planning on having my '64 Avanti engine and transmission rebuilt sometime this fall. It burns and leaks oil and is generally "tired". I would to hear recommendations/experiences with Studebaker engine rebuilders (I don't want to take it to a local shop that is unfamiliar with Studes). I live in Michigan but don't mind traveling up to 500 miles to get a quality job. So as to not cause hard feelings amongst vendors please reply to this post privately to the address given below. All replies will be held in confidence.

Thanks in advance

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
TJH

Tom,

There's absolutly nothing wrong with a shop that has no Stude experience....as long as they are a quality shop to begin with.

An engine is an engine, they all have the same parts, in the same place and move in the same way (save for the backward turning cam!).

The work on the crank is the same, the work on the heads is the same, the work on the block is the same...as any other engine out there. The ONLY thing that has to be watched that's a little out of place is the one oil galley plug in the distributor well, that's it.

If you know of a GOOD shop or a friend knows of a good shop, they'll have the experience to know where to go to find the parts or the knowlege that they may not have on hand.

Currently my enging is at a shop that has never done a Stude engine...but he has done a "lot" of one at a time engines. He reciently got a 36 Packard (year?) engine complete. The owner was very happy.

So don't count a good shop out just because they haven't done or reciently done a Stude engine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

One correction, the cams in our engines turn the right way, it's everyone ELSE that's got the backwards turning cam

Jeff DeWitt

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Might want to call Jon Myer and see if he wants to do it, or can recommend someone. He's in Ohio so depending on where you are in MI might not be too far.

good luck,

nate

TJH wrote:

Reply to
N8N

If he were located closer to Texas, I would recommend Mark Frank as he specializes in Studes and only does brand-X work to supplement his income. He's got total machine shop capability under one roof.

JT

Malcom Gillette wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

JT,

Where is Mark Frank located? I'm near Houston.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Cool! Thanks.

The second pic looks like a 56 President on the lift.

Reply to
Tim Ulrich