Vontage phone O.T.

I've been using the Vontage voice over the net phone service for about two weeks. Works just like my old phone company, but under $30/month for unlimited local and long distance, with voice mail, caller ID, call forwarding and the works. They even send you a e-mail when you have a voice mail. If you have cable or DSL, it's worth a look.

Reply to
John Poulos

Jeff Rice

Reply to
John Poulos

Try this one:

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

That looks neat. All the Stude types should hook up on this...

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

It has the basic requirement - it's free.

Free calls computer-to-computer, file exchange, IM function.

Until the end of the year, you can call landlines and cell phones from your computer - free.

I use a bluetooth headset, works great.

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I tried it- too choppy.

My Cable modem is fast, but it just didn't work out here in the weeds.

I have heard that it's better over DSL.

Mark (BTDT) Dunning

Reply to
markshere2

I do not know about other state's laws, but New York has given these companies till the end of the year to conform to 911. As of now, theses package phones, since they use the internet, or parts of the internet to place and get calls do not register the location of a 911 call.

Even though you have retained your normal phone number, 911 has a record of where that phone is located. With these new phone connections the 911 system doesn work.

We have been using the Optimum On Line (Cablevsion) service for almost a year/

Reply to
Bill Glass

If you have a monitored security system they most likely will not work with internet phones service. Lots of promises on these phones but people still have problems. Your voice quality will depend on several factors including your ISP. Internet phone companies are similar to cell phone companies. What do they advertise? No dropped calls and crystal clear communications. I have tried several cell companies and stil have those problems.

Reply to
Paul Brewington

Let me see if I can understand this, you must have broadband or DSL ( which means you must already be paying for local phone calls, DSL and all associated fees and taxes averageing $35 to $50 a month) then you get "unlimited long distence and local calls" for having a subscription to Vonage? Lets see, $50 plus $25 = $75. Most people feel a cell phone is required nowdays, thats $48 a month after fees and taxes. With a cell phone you get nationwide long distence. Am I missing something?

Reply to
RPE

I have cable Internet already, so the only added cost is the $25.00 and that includes all local and long distance calls. A cell phone with several 1000 minutes of calls would cost me a lot more. I use the phone for my businesses, mostly during prime time and lots of calls in and out, plus I did not want to change my home phone number. .

Reply to
John Poulos

As cable is faster than DSL why would the phone work better on DSL? (Aside from the fact you pretty much have to have a conventional phone to have DSL!)

Jeff DeWitt

markshere2 wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt