WAY OFF TOPIC

Does buying "Monster Cables" make that big a difference in HDTV?

Reply to
Bill Glass

From what I have heard, "monster" cables are one of the biggest scams/rip offs aroung these days...

JT

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Depends a lot if you are using analog or digital hookup.

Analog HDTV signals are ordinarily component video (Y/Pb/Pr), but can be RGB (usually RGBHV, but there are other varieties). Good quality cables are fairly important.

Digital video cables are just like your printer cable, just 0 and 1 bits, and any decent cable works.

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Not so much with analog HDTV cables since the frequencies involved require High quality cables. With audio, patch cords costing over $100 or so is pretty much snake oil. We sold cables for over $1000/meter in my store, cost us about a forth of that.

Grumpy AuC> From what I have heard, "monster" cables are one of the biggest

Reply to
John Poulos

Save your money, Bill. Check these two websites:

and

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

They (the Cable Company) claim we are getting "digital" signals, but they supply Y/Pb/Pr cables made in Taiwan. There is HDMI coming out of box, along with S-Video. The image(s) are sometimes fantastic, and sometimes soft. I have to think that using HDMI or S-video might make a difference, or possibly getting the "Monster Cables". The loss of three years has really screwed with my technology gap.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Use the HDMI cable for the best picture (digital) You may need to go to the setup menu on your TV and select HDMI input.

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

"Digital" signals from your friendly cable company are by most reports inferior to those of OTA and satellite sources.

JT

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Not necessarily. It varies widely from company to company.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Yes, assuming that HDMI is enabled at the box.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

HDMI and component carry hd signals. HDMI is digital, component is analog. S-video is not hd in any way.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Bill.

The Monster Cables will only make a difference in your pocketbook. Don't buy them! Try the HDMI cable first. Did you get one from the cable company? If not, I will send you one. Please don't buy Monster Cables! Did I mention you shouldn't buy Monster Cables? DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE AND SET YOUR TELEVISION UP FOR YOU! I WILL, YOU KNOW! (Really!)

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I don't know if I agree with that, I've got DirecTV and the quality of some stations is on par with poor cable connections. These companies are putting

300 channels on satellites designed for 30 channels by compressing the quality to the point where it's barely watchable. The same is true with Cable and HDTV, compare the signal you get off of your cable with the 100% uncompressed signal you get by pulling it in off a regular television antenna/rabbit ears. You'll be shocked to see how much the cable company is compressing the signal. Where digital signals are either on or off... no "poor signal", but throw in compression and you end up with "poor signal" reception.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Even the stations you receive ota are compressed, just not as much as others like cable or satellite. The local cable company here does a good job with hd, using the full bandwidth of 19.4 mbps.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

W H A T A B O U T.... Verizon FIOS. The buried the glass cable last December and say it will be online in June.

Reply to
SilverStude

I'm only reflecting on what I've heard and read since I have neither, cable or satellite. I have 'nuff of the vast wasteland as it is...

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Our town just gave Verizon permission to distribute cable in our area. There is no talk of "fiberoptics" in any of their ads. CableVision/Optomin On Line says we have fiberoptics out at the "poles" but there ain't no little glass wires, just that old RF stuff.

Maybe tomorrow I will call them and ask if I can use HDMI.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

GOT the PICTURE.........I swear I won't buy Monster Cables...........I swear, but you can still come down, and this time stay for lunch, dinner whatever.

Bill ......who won't buy Monster Cables........Glass

Reply to
Bill Glass

Sounds good Bill! Maybe we can work on a t-shirt design.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Sounds even better