Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Threaded View

I am having no luck getting my '63 Cruiser started. I have a weak spark at
the coil and none at the plugs. I replace the coil with no change. I have a
T-Bolt EI. All of the other wires seem fine. Maybe it's the control box? HELP!!!

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

    Could be, I used to carry a spare MOPAR box. Was the car running
once, or is this a new issue ?

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

It ran last year, this is the first I tried to fire it up this year.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Try using a pencil eraser on all contacts in the high voltage side or
sand paper on the cap contacts. Time does an excellent job on oxidizing
contacts made of brass.

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

if my car sits, the FIRST thing is crawl under the hood, and take
FINE sand paper and 'dress the points..or it wont start
     --Shiva--

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

I would do that but I have no points. It's an electronic ignition.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Did you bypass the pink resistor wire (COMPLETELY) in the ignition system?

Ray

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Yup. That's the one that is originally on the ballast resistor, yes?

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Could the ballast resistor be the problem?

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

Does it still have a condensor? I had one go bad a few months ago and
heard of a couple of others going bad about the same time.

Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar
'51 2dr Champion

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

 electronic ignitions dont NEED ballast resistors..usually.

     --Shiva--

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

This one came with it from Dave T-Bolt.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

I didn't think the EI had to have a ballast resistor. If yours is still
in-line, it could be the problem.
Also... (and I don't know WHY it does this) You must remove the
pink-wire from the system completely... disconnected at the ignition
switch (or junction block on Hawks w/tach). Don't leave it wired-up,
thinking the juice is going to flow through the "other" wire instead.
It's OK to leave the coil-end connected to the green-w/black tracer
solenoid bypass wire.
I had the same trouble with my '61 Hawk, and later a '63 Wagon. I used
the Petronix in the '61. I just "added" an extra wire to power the
coil... without disconnecting the pink resistor wire. It still didn't
start easily.

I "heard" that if you turn your Petronix equipped ignition on and wait
5-seconds before starting, it will fire better. It certainly works on
our car. It does "seem" to start much quicker. I know Dave's system
isn't a Petronix... but you might try that also.

Ray

Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

   It has a resistor, but you must not use the factory pink wire.

JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Re: Weak spark at coil, none at plugs! HELP!

My experience with MoPar electronic ignitions (in MoPars) is that the pickup
unit in the distributor is a common failure.  You might make sure everything
in the head of the distributor is clean.
Paul Johnson

Site Timeline