Weber carbs OT

Anybody know of anyone with expertise on Webers? A friend has a Maserati with one carb overflowing. It would be a simple fix on a Stude, but I have no experience w/Webers... Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

Barry, Webers are pretty straightforward. Well engineered and reasonably easy to work on and get parts for. Sounds like your buddy has either a bad needle and seat or a piece of trash wedged in it. Like any other carb, if a piece of crap gets stuck between the needle and seat, the full (overfull) bowl keeps the needle and trash pinned to the seat and keeps fuel coming in. Emptying the bowl (pumping the gas 'till it's empty and then letting the car sit is one way) sometimes will let the float drop and then the incoming gas washes the particle down into the bowl. Here is a good place for Weber stuff.

George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I have Webers on my Stude. What George says is what I would try first. If that doesn't fix it you should probably get the Haynes Weber Carburetor Manual before taking the carb apart enough to check the floats and needle valve. He should have that manual anyway, if he is going to own a Maserati.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Thanks, guys. I have never worked on a Weber before, and was a bit intimidated about wading into something expensive which I have no experience with that belongs to someone else. I know I could fix it quickly if it were on a Stude. Will get the manual and see if it is something I can tackle. Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

Shouldn't someone who owns a Maserati just bring it back to the dealer. $$$ shouldn't be an issue...

JT

ALEX M. wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reasoning like that would lead someone to think that a guy with 40 Studebakers could afford to paint his house, too, but you might be wrong.

The owner of the Maserati has just uncovered another black hole to dump his ca$h into- a Packard Hawk which is gettiing a frame-off resto in my shop. Even a guy like Mitt Romney will holler "uncle" if the hemmoraging gets bad enough.

As I believe Will Rogers once observed "A fool and his(or her) money will soon be elected"

Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

If they are the side draft Webers used on the 6 cyl engines then I suspect a float is rubbung the side of the fuel bowl and sticking. Clearances are very tight between the float and the bowl. You have to set the top holding the float in place very carefully and then make sure the hold-down screws are very tight. BTDT.

-- wf.

Reply to
randee