Weird problem solved - any guesses? <OT>

The Jeeps (96 Cherokee, 4.0) been acting strangely lately, sometimes it seems like its down on power, the gas pedal has felt hard, and the idle has been weird, sometimes slow, (especially at startup, even with the engine hot)and sometimes fast, like about 1200 rpm.

I couldn't believe it when I found the problem, and it was an easy fix.

Any ideas?

Answer to be posted tomorrow or so, unless someone gets it first.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Transtar60

Carpeting/insulation? Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Nope!

I drive the piss out of this Jeep, it hardly sits still long enough for any critters to get any ideas.

Jeff DeWitt

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

throttle cable stranded cable has broken strand(s) binding throttle cable thus resulting in throttle pedal resistance and resistance to returning to idle.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Bad ground. Current frayed throttle cable?

Reply to
Jeff Rice

That's what I was thinking, but no, the cable and spring are fine.

Jeff DeWitt

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Funny you should mention a bad ground. Once in while the gages get all wacky and it's because of a ground connection on the engine, but it's never effected the way the engine ran.

Not a ground, not a bad throttle cable.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Nope, problem was under the hood.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Air filter housing latch unlatched?

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Uhhh no.. it will run just fine with that loose, or even off.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Bad TPS or crank sensor?

Mark Anderson

65 Cruiser
Reply to
Mark Anderson

ENOUGH! of the circle jerking mental masturbaiting!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell Us Now! Pilgrim!!

Reply to
oldcarfart

Cruise control not disengaging fully.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

No cruise, it's a very basic Jeep.

Jeff DeWitt

Craig Parslow wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

OK everyone, there were a lot of really good guesses (and most of them have happened to me at one time or another!)but here is what happened this time.

I took the big air intake hose off the top of the throttle body to spray some cleaner on it and found a big, square chunk of foam on top of the throttle plates. It turned out to be the filter from the inside of the air box that filters air coming back from the valve cover.

Obviously it was interfering with the movement of the throttle plate.

A bit of cleaning and some glue and everything was OK again.

Thanks for all the great suggestions though!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

PCV supply filter, usually held in place by a big staple, only time I have seen these blown out (it's PCV suction side filter) is with blowby, do you have high miles?

Reply to
oldcarfart