Weird R-Series Truck

Found this on a website with tons of pics of WWII to late '60's cars and parts. The country code on the phone number is Austria.

The roof appears to be from a '55-'57 Chevy wagon, the top rear fenders from a '55-'56 Ford, and no clus on the lower rear fenders.

Anyone hazard a guess?

Reply to
zoombot

Sorry - forgot the link!

zoombot

Judging by the .br in the URL, this stuff is in Brazil,which would explain the Portuguese. I wouldn't be surprised if the conversion was done there by a custom shop affiliated with the dealer, or even the factory.

That's a neat Studeburban. If it were 4X4, I could see myself driving out to the rigs in that!

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Studeburban... I like the sound of that... Jeff (Studebourbon might go down better, though ..) Rice

"Gord> Judging by the .br in the URL, this stuff is in Brazil,which would explain

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Looks like 57 Sedan taillights would mount right up!

Reply to
Dan

Portuguese.

affiliated with

Heh... You could take a nice trip down to Brazil, ensure that it is roadworthy, and just drive on back up heeyah! Just watch out for the banditos here 'n there...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That's a neat Studeburban. If it were 4X4, I could see myself driving out to the rigs in that!

-- Gord Richmond

__________________________________ You say that as if it's something Gord hasn't done before. Ever seen "Sorcerer"? International desperadoes, junkyard trucks, oil field fire, expired dynamite dripping TNT...

Gord's in that.

Go ahead, make it a double-dawg dare.

Reply to
comatus

LOL!

I actually DID burn up some expired dynamite one time, but the stuff had been out in the weather for years, and the nitro was all but washed away. No "bangs" occurred :>(

Gord (international man of mystery) Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Was alcohol involved? The side panels look like a NYC Checker cab, maybe that name xlates into "bassackwards" studebaker. Good design for urban assault vehicle.

Reply to
oldcarfart

No alcohol. I was in the Yukon, with a crew that was prospecting some old silver showings from the 1950's. In one trench, we found a pile of leftover dynamite, maybe a dozen sticks, weathered to the point that there was little left but the paper tube. So we burned them in a little wood fire. Prudently stood about 30 yards distant, but there really wasn't any risk.

Yeah, I wonder if maybe that Stude wasn't built in a custom shop that also did stuff for Willys and Kaiser?

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

silver showings

So we burned

did stuff for

I still wanna know when you're gonna go down and seal the deal and drive it back...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Was alcohol involved?

________________ NOW you are really straining our credibility! ___________________

also did stuff for Willys and Kaiser?

Yep, that gets my pulse up. Miraculous feats of one-off panel-beating still take place in edge-of-the-jungle caravanserais, as they once did here. Plus, it's guaranteed to already be set up for ethanol (to take advantage of Alberta's bumper sugar cane crop). My short list of oughta-haves still includes a 'Willys-do-Brasil' Interlagos with a Willys-do-Toledo 4WD driveline under it. The Caliber-based Compass, limp by Jeep standards, actually makes this feasible. Shoving a CJ frame under that Studebourbon wouldn't take any more than a good welder, a metric sledgehammer, and enough cocobolo bark to make it a woody (no rainforest offset, there'll be one growing up through the floor anyway). You might have to Yukon Jack it up a few inches.

As you drive it from Belem to Medicine Hat, try to pass near Ohio. I want my kid to someday be able to tell his children he saw this.

Reply to
comatus