What has happened to this group?

Check the stats on messages. June posts were only 200+ Thats down from a high of June 2004 of over 4000 posts. Did everyboby go to the SDC forum? Or did people just lose interest? Does the SDC forum have thousands of post per month? Just curious

Reply to
paul

Some did, many did not. Several of the regulars here fell off the face of the earth.

Possibly, especially the guys who don't live, eat, and dream Studebakers

24/7/365.

Not as many as this place it it's prime. There is a core group over there that consists of about a dozen guys who do 90% of the posting. Don't question the norm if you don't want to get jumped, it's definately a mob mentality over there. I did and was pretty much asked to leave... so I did and as far as I'm concerned most of the guys there can kiss my ass. Funny thing is I check it about once a day (slowly weening myself from it) and I see now they're talking about the exact same changes and problems that I brought up (for example, forum improvements, website outages, and membership recruiting). Oh well, I'll just sit back and watch the SDC fade into the sunset since they don't appear to be interested in what I have to say.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I am on 32 Yahoo groups, and over the last 6 months, find the same thing is for all practical happening across the board.. Interest in (insert whatever here) has in some cases TOTALLY died away.. this is NOT limited to Studebakers, or cars, but EVERYTHING.

I am on a wood working group where it was 50 posts a day.. its now down to perhaps 2 or 3 a week.. Airbrushing went from 100 a day, to

  1. 1 game site went from 10 downloadable additions a day, to this week 3 days with none..

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

The SDC forums are about as busy as this news group was with Studebaker talk. The off topic stuff in the general chat (Stove Huggers forum)is not as busy yet.

Reply to
John Poulos

Yep, they all ran over there. Guess the heat was too much for 'em here.

How sad that people have so much difficulty using the "mark as read" function.

The SDC forum(s) are far more a PIA to navigate etc.

Besides, sometimes silence is golden...

JT

snipped-for-privacy@resi-tech.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It took me a while to admit it, but I am much happier on the SDC forum because it is "gently moderatered" by Bob Shaw. After being called every name in the book here, the unending flame wars we all joined in on, it got out of control. We still disagree, fuss and fight, but if it gets out of hand Bob steps in (maybe every few months) I get more useful info over there without the trash talk.

Grumpy AuC> Yep, they all ran over there. Guess the heat was too much for 'em here. >

Reply to
John Poulos

I have been too busy to do anything but quickly skim over both this forum and the SDC one. I will agree, though, that the SDC forum is kind of "controlled" by a certain bunch and if you do "step out of (their) line" THEY can get some jabs in but forget jabbing back as Shaw doesn't like a poster without a gazilliion posts to say anything bad about or even question a "regular". I have been on this forum for a long time (not as long as some, though!) and I prefer a place where if someone takes a shot at you you can shoot back... I have enjoyed this forum even through all the flame wars, spam, etc. Those wars prove we are all human and not robots. Studebaker George (Fixing Studebakers every day instead of talking about them)

Reply to
Studebaker George

Yes I totally agree with you. To me, sometimes the SDC forum gets into a "in-group" mentality similar to which is found in a high- school.

True, this group has it's shortcomings, but it has a family feeling. Sure that family might fight, but it's still a family. The SDC forum has become not a family but a pecking-order. One can only verbalize ideas or thoughts based on ones social rank depending on how many posts one makes.

I recall back in 2003-2004 how great this forum was. Hopefully there are enough of us guys who can keep it alive.

On Jul 3, 6:29 pm, Studebaker George wrote: I will agree, though, that the SDC forum is

Reply to
1957HK7

have to agree... its the pits to be flat out TOLD that you are wrong about something, when you got books and physical evidence in front of you, but, the person ranting on you 'knows it all', and that aint the way it is.. 20 years plus working on the topic counts for nothing with certain of them.

On a related note, gave up trying to have my old email address on 1 web page changed to what I have now had for the last almost 3 years... so-to all of you that sent emails to that addy, needing locks worked on, and I IGNORED YOU, its NOT MY FAULT..

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

I sure agree with what you are saying about the SDC forum. I have read it some and posted very little. Now that I have usenet back I probably won't even read it anymore. I signed up with News.motzarella.org for free access to the NG.This is my first post useing it lets see if it works

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

It works Jerry. Nice to see you back. By the way, I ran into a guy from Tucson at the Northwest SDC Zone Meet last weekend here in the Portland area. Claimed to know you, but I forgot his name already. Dave Mc

Reply to
The Other Dave

Hi Dave You must have CRS also. If the guy from Tucson name comes back to you let me know'.How have you been ? What do you have for a Stude now that the yellow drop top is gone?

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser