Where's the Studebaker junkyard from the TV show?

I was just watching a new episode of MythBusters on the Discovery Channel tonight. For one of their segments, they were going to buy an old sports car to recreate a movie myth about ejector passenger seats. They went to a "Studebaker junkyard" and quickly showed several Studes. They were initially going to pick an Avanti ('63 or '64) to cut up and modify but ultimately decided to go for a non sports car. The car they finally picked was foreign (perhaps a Japanese). I did not stay up to watch the end of the show 'cause it was 2 hours long so I missed the closing credits. The show is made out in L.A. Does anyone know what "Studebaker junkyard" they were at????

Reply to
Rads

Pat Drnec

Nope. The show is taped in San Francisco.

Reply to
zoombot

Yea...the show is out of the S.F Bay area...but it is on the West Coast!

MIke

Reply to
Mike

My son and I watched Myth Busters last night - you should have heard him scream when the Studebakers/Avanti came on the screen....geesh!

They picked a late 70's/early 80's Toyota Corolla. Machined one pipe to slip fit inside another, capped off the larger one and connected the inner ones to a compressed air tank. These formed the back of the ejector seat. They cut an access panel in the roof, put Buster (their dummy) in the seat and blew him right out of the car. Didn't take much air to do the trick. Pretty cool.

Rich

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78
Reply to
Rich