Willys Overland: A Little Off Topic.

I just dragged home a new vehicle: a 1953 Willys Overland Pickup.

Stude Content....I think that Brooks Stevens was the designer of the truck????

I think the original engine was an "Intake Over Exhaust" (F Head); but it was underpowered, and often replaced with "More Stude Content" the Stude V8, or the Flat Head Ford. Mine has a Mercury 255 cid (stroked version of the old 239 Ford FlatHead); but it's stuck. I just pulled the heads, and number five is a little cruddy, and the PO has used two head gaskets on that side. There is indication of coolant leakage at number five (and possibly some at number three).

I'm now soaking the cylinders with Rislone, and will rock it daily for the next week or so.

Thus far I haven't been overly aggresive in trying to free it up. I'm just rocking it; and seeing some movement of the fan (indicating movement of the crankshaft), but so far no movement of the pistons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks; Keith.

Reply to
stude-ious

If that doesn't work there is always Diet Coke!

Seriously, there is an acid in Coke that will often free a stuck engine when nothing else will, but you want to be sure to use DIET Coke, sugar does ugly things to engines!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Is that the truck that looks like a Jeep pickup? Those are the coolest looking little trucks.

Someone had one on Ebay a while back that was 4WD and had a Stude 289 in it, best of both worlds!

Jeff DeWitt

stude-ious wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Inondate it with PB Blaster. Eats rust and other corrosion, while lubricating.

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

UPDATE I tried all the magic formulae; and it was still stuck. So this afternoon I pulled the pan, and disconnected the two stuck pistons, and turned the engine away from the stuck pistons. It turned easily. Then I tapped the stuck pistons: one tapped down easily; the other was a little more stubborn; but it moved down about half an inch. The bottom end looked splendid. I'll soak the stubborn one for another week, and try again. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
stude-ious

Yes; it looks like a Jeep pickup. Stude V8s, and flathead fords were apparently common conversions.

Reply to
stude-ious

Make sure your oil pump turns!

I went to a great deal of trouble to un-stick a Ford flattie Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond