Windshield Installation Question

A friend of mine is having the interior of his 64 Cruiser redone including headliner. Today he received a call from the upholester guy who informed him that the dash would have to come out in order to reinstall the windshield. I have only replaced a winshield in a 59 Lark and I couldn't give him an answer. Does the dash have to be removed in order to reinstall the windshield or is there a trick to it?

Reply to
Ron Butts

Definitely not! One won't even have to touch the dash to do an installation of a windshield. I have replaced one myself, exactly as the shop manual shows using kitchen cord.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Craig Are you talking 64 Lark types? Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Unless it is different than other Studes, I don't think so... now you would want to use a new gasket, and there may be some finagling involved with a plastic scraper to get the gasket to snap in nicely behind the dash but I don't see why it couldn't be done. a '64 windshield is not scary like a wraparound either. '59 IMHO would be WAAAY more challenging to get it right.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This was on a '65 Commander 2 door (with the stainless trim). Should be exactly the same as a '64 Cruiser.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

In one word... NO

No tricks either- any qualified glass shop can do it...(and most hobbyists with a little common sense).

Ray

R>A friend of mine is having the interior of his 64 Cruiser redone including

Reply to
Studeman

Give the guy a shop manual. Maybe that will see him through the job. Kinda scary when I hear something like that and know it not to be true. Studeman summed it up. jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

The wrap arounds are easy as well. The real challenge is the rear glass on early c/k's and sedans. Don't ask me how I know...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire