Without Internet still at the house. OT

I waited about trying to make up my mind on getting the internet at the house and it was a good thing.

Saturday I was about ready to tackle the yard work when all of a sudden heard and felt what I thought was a sonic boom. Thinking that the shuttle may be landing at first and I waited for the second boom and nothing. Look out the window for a accident and did heard anything except for the fire truck coming down the road stopping in front of my house. Went out side to see that the problem was and there was lines from the power pole down in the street. Having seen this many times before I knew that this wasn't power but either cable or phone lines and on closer inspection was either mine or my next door neighbors. Taking a quick look at my side of the house it was mine and the gutter, facial was ripped off the house. A damn moving truck came down the road and took the ISDN phone line out of the side of my house and shot it across the street taking out limbs and small children (if they were in the way) along the way. It happens almost every time a moving truck comes down the street to either my house or someone's in the neighborhood so I'm not going in that direction to get my internet back up and running and it also would be the same problem for the cable internet connection so I may just have to go to Satellite (just waiting to see how Jeff likes it) before making my final decision. Meantime I fixing the facial and gutters and sending a bill to the moving company.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

C'mon up for a weekend and try it out. I'll rig up a temporary gutter and downspout for you up outside the 'bogus room' ... Jeff (Oh, and bring the truck up if it's... done ) Rice

"Rick Courtier" wrote...

I may just have to go to

Reply to
Jeff Rice

They need to put it up higher on your house. Our trash trucks are as high as the moving vans and they come once a week. Low wire problems were solved a long time ago.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Isn't satellite... satellite down/phoneline up? And $99/month... at least that's what it was the last time DirecTV was advertising.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Short house and leaning pole makes the wire too low to the ground. . . electric company has had the pole on their to due list for the pass 4 years but with the hurricanes it's way down the list.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

No phone lines needed, and if you own the equipment it's around $59 (just waiting for Jeff's first bill) to find all the add on(s).

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Or WildBlue Satellite is S49.95

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Any chance for wireless? Cost $400 for the equipment($300 if you can just use the paddle without a dish) and $25 a month.

Studeski Claude Chmielewski snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

Fillmore, Wisconsin

1947 M16 Truck 1962 GT Hawk 1963 Lark 1964 Commander Wagonaire

Rick Courtier wrote:

Reply to
Studeski

You mean Satellite? and $25 would be nice!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

DirecTV is television. and not computer ISP. Hughesnet does the satellite ISP setup (one of them, anyways). Hughes satellite is all satellite down AND up. No phone connection at all. IIRC, AOL satellite was satellite down and phone up/out. The Hughes deal seems to be working good. It's $99 a month for 24 months 'if' you let them finance the dish and modem. It's $59 a month 'if' you buy the equipment outright. The dish and modem and install are $499, and if you pay for it up front you get a $200 rebate. So.. If you are paying an extra $40 a month (extra for the hardware) for 24 months, you will pay $960 for your hardware. Makes sense to pay the $299 up front. Oh, and the phone companies DSL line runs $49.95 a month out by me and the speed isn't much better than dial up (being far from the switching station).. Satellite download is real fast, upload is slower. My initial impression is that it is not as fast as cable/ISP....But I don't have cable/ISP...or even cable..where I am at. But it leaves dial up, and a mediocre DSL in the dust. Jeff (and no wacky taxes on the monthly bill...) Rice

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

What PPV p*rn channel honey????

"Rick Courtier" wrote ...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

And I loves my cable modem

Mark (much faster than I am ) Dunning

[...]

markshere2

DirecTV does ISP too, it's called DirectWay... $89.00/month. Download speed "up to 700 kbs", upload speed "up to 128 kbs".

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Nope..

DirecTV is television.

Direcway is satellite ISP and was recently acquired by Hughesnet. Now it will be called Hughesnet and the ISP setup is now called MyWay.

speeds advertised are base speeds and can be sped up with optional upgrades (of course..)I didn't go with the 1.5 setup (yet)...Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Well you can still get to Direcway through DirecTV's website.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud