`01 Outback LE Sunroof stopped working

Hello all,

This morning when I went to leave for work, I rolled my windows down and went to open both power sunroofs. I noticed that the powerroof above the driver/passenger seats would not raise up like it should. however the roof above the back seat that slides back into the roof did open up fully without a problem.

Once I had more time to look at it, I closed all of the sunroofs. Then I pressed the button between the two ceiling lights to raise open the first sunroof by pressing and holding the button once. During this, I could hear the motor trying to open the sunroof, but it would not raise. I did decide to push up on the glass roof, and it opened. However after 15 minutes or so, it collapsed back down into the closed position. I tried pressing up on the roof, but now everytime it collapses back down on it's self as soon as I let go. It's as if something in there has lost the ability to latch the glass in place or to connect the motor to the glass to actually raise it.

Does anyone here know about fixing something like this? I would like to get in there and look at it, but all I can do is have someone hold the glass roof up, while I peer in from behind it, but that doesn't really offer me any solution. How would I remove that glass panel to be able to see what is now causing it from raising up and staying up?

Bradley

Reply to
Bradley Walker

I've had a similar thing happen to my WRX except it was for the driver side window, it wouldn't go down or up anymore. When I took the door apart, a screw that was holding the motor had fallen off and the thing holding the window wasn't in its place anymore.

Reply to
Dan

Now to figure out how to remove the glass for that sunroof so I can check inside. The more I observe the windows behavior, I think it might be an identical problem to the one you had.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

It's probably a whole lot easier once you remove the whole headlining .... but you really didn't want to read that did you?

That's why I haven't got round to replacing the broken (and necessarily removed) blind from my rear sunroof yet. Until I can summon up the energy I've just tinted the glass so far! Good luck. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Reply to
Bradley Walker