01 Outback Ltd purchase (finally!)

Well I finally did it yesterday, I purchased a 2001 Titanium Green (Seafoam green??) Outback Limited Edition 5spd wagon from a local dealer with 78,000 miles. This was the same dealer that I posted about a few weeks back that had an orginial sticker price of $15,900, then had a 'hidden' internet price on AutoTrader of $13,200. Initially I was holding out for the low to mid

12's for a purchase price but when the salesman got extremely pissed off at my suggestion of getting it lower as well as scoffing at my `93 explorer trade in, I walked as you know. Of course I got a bit of heckling for that for not taking it at $13,200 and being happy.

After a few weeks that same vehicle was sitting on the lot still and the dealership was advertising heavy end of year discounts. Plus I had also talked with an uncle of mine who works in sales with radio. He said wait till this week or if not, wait till the 28-30th when dealerships get antsy to move inventory. I called the dealership up yesterday morning and called their bluff by saying I was interested in the vehicle, however another dealership had another `00 Outback for $11,900. Obviously that car or dealership didn't exsist, but the salesman bit. Btw this was a different salesman than last time. The guy wanted me to come in around noontime, but I decided to hold off till around 3pm to see if the psychological affect would help me any. I figured he he knew he had an interested buyer in me that could be looking at another dealership, he'd do what he could to make a sale.

Long story short, it worked. I walked into the dealership around 3:30 yesterday, sat down with the guy and I made mention I had been in there 4 weeks prior and even test drove the car. That comment seemed to help influence things along. First thing I wanted to do was go into the service shop to get the maintanence records on the vehicle since I knew it had been serviced there for a few years. I politely in a businessman manner asked the salesman to get the records for me, and we both walked over to the service shop. Interestingly enough I think my politeness but my intent on doing these things threw him off his sales tactics. Although to give the guy credit, he was nice and polite himself, obviously out to make a sale, but no high pressure, no jerkoff like behaviors. I was fairly impressed compared to other salesmen at the dealership. The maintanence records showed that the clutch & flywheel assembly had been replaced as well as brand new brakes, all fluids changed, transmission was power flushed, new plugs, wires, etc. They had the detailed history of it in hand so that put me at east not worrying about anything major that could break on me. The service rep is also a computer client of mine.

I was greatly surprised when the salesman took my explorer over to the appraisers office where they appraised it for $2000!! That is the same vehicle that last time another salesmanager/appraiser refused to even look at it or want it. KBB valued it at $2700 and I got the $2000 appraisal with broken 4WD, barely firing cylender w/low compression (cracked valve I think), no functioning heat or AC but the body and interior was still fairly mint. With that info in hand, the salesman went to the salesmanagers desk and came back about 15 min later. Their initial asking price of $13,200 which I was told weeks back that there was no way they could go lower, was now down to $12,900 combined with the $2000 trade in brought the overall price of the vehicle down to $10,900 before tax, tags, title, and processing. After all was said and done, I paid $11,800 for it.

The interior is MINT as well as the exterior not even having so much as a scratch on it. The only issue I noticed is that the drivers side mirror has a problem barely wanting to move up and down with the electronic mirror controls. Left and Right works, but not up and down. However the passengers side mirror works great. That was the only known issue I found after looking the vehicle over top to bottom.

My main question is, when it comes to the regular service and replacement parts such as tires, what is the best or highly recommended brands/models to go with? This vehicle won't need a full servicing until around 90-95,000 miles and I'm curious for snowy weather driving here in the mountains of WV what tires are recommended for this? What about snow chains? (You wouldn't believe some driveways people have around here). I saw another post regarding the oil filter brand, what about air filters? I want to be as prepared as possible.

Bradley

Reply to
Bradley Walker

75,000 miles and 5 years old....Take this warning seriously, this is no joke...... WATCH THE COOLANT LEVELS LIKE A HAWK!!!! Watch the engine temp carefully, watch for white condensation,watch for bubbles in the overflow tank. Even the 2001's are blowing head gaskets left and right. Keep your nose on alert for the sweet smell of Ethelyne Glycol (Antifreeze) in the exhaust or under the hood. Watch for fuel leaks on the engine as they DO leak in cold weather. These are "features" you wont find in the owners manual, but your car has them. Let's hope you LOVE this car in 6-12 months. PLEASE read the other post about a "class action" lawsuit growing in this newsgroup.

Happy New Year!

Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

I'm already one step ahead of you and have been since I started looking at the Outbacks. I plan to keep this vehicle in a garage with bi-daily checks on such things as coolant levels, leaks around the backside of the engine on the drivers side by the cross members. Where most people are saying the headgasket leaks are occuring. I'm already checking with Subaru HQ regarding the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty for the head gasket coverage.

Thanks for the tips though, I greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

I can tell you what "Subaru HG" is gonna do : they will send you to one of Subaru dealers to perform "normal coolant seepage" recall. Dealer will add some Bar's Leak into your radiator hoping it will hold for another 22K miles ( it probably will), when the new extended warranty on HG runs out. Then you will be on your own. Make sure to replace timing belt @ 105K miles or earlier (do water pump, cam and crank seals, oil pump O-ring). It will ring you up - depending where you go - from $ 500 to $ 1000 ( Subaru stealerships). Then - when HGs start leaking antifreeze and oil and you (unlike me) do panic, the damage will range for both sides from $1000 to $3000 (Subie pros). Moreover - it will not warrant reocurrence of HG "seepage" - especially when you are going to use the car in steep Appalachian hills. Pray to God HG failure will only consist in "seepage" and not in breakage/deterioration of fire rings ( it's called "internal HG failure in scientific terminology...). Year ago I paid $7000 cash for 2000 OBW Ltd. w/118K miles (99% hwy.)It took me only maybe 5 minutes of haggling, most of which was done over my phone - additionally while I was using my restroom for "morning toilette". It was the last day of the month and Ford dealer, who acquired the Outback as a trade-in few days before wanted $ 9000 for it :) . Obviously I knew about HG probs with these engines. Moreover - my prospect purchase was evidently developing one. Before I paid I took it home and did leak down compression test using special hoselike tool I own and my garage compessed air. It checked out neg. - so car was only developing external seepage. Also it got all major maintenance done few thousand miles before and was very well taken care of during the course of original (nonsmoking) ownership. I drive my OBW till today and only add gas and change oil and filter ( it has K&N permanent air filter, so this one is just a "blow" - literally...lol). Car is running like a charm on a flat terrain of North/Eastern Ohio - currently serving as a firewood mule. I only have to watch oil and antifreeze levels. I add no oil between changes, and I do add about one cup of antifreeze twice a year. HG "seepage" is stable, i.e. not getting worse ( or better) and is seasonal: More maple syrup smell in winter , more burnt oil smell in summer- which is quite understandable.

SOHC engine Subies with "HG malade" are known to run forever - I just talked to a guy (textile salesman) who was killing his 2000 OBW with leaking HGs on daily basis with no repairs - just adding fluids. Car has 260K miles on odo and running strong. Just remember - Subarus are great machines and do run forever - as long as you are meticulous about maintenance. cheers. krzysztof duszkiewicz

Reply to
daszkiew2000

The '01's had a pretty lame clutch. If it's a manual, keep an eye on that, as well.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I already checked with the service department, they had replaced the clutch & flywheel assembly for the previous owner.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Excellent!

SOA and my dealer denied anything was wrong with mine. My complaints started @ 7k and continued until I sold the car with 39k. I've never replaced a clutch in ANY of my vehicles, so it's not like I'm hard on them.

Good luck with the car!

Reply to
Bonehenge

Thanks! I had ran across the 00-02 clutch & flywheel issues on another forum by accident so that was one thing I kept my eyes open for when reviewing the service records. The clutch was replaced around 50-55k miles. So I feel confident on that. When driving it home I also kept an eye out for hard shifting or anything noticeable that could indicate clutch problems.

Reply to
Bradley Walker