'01 Outback Sedan Needs Third Alternator, Suggestions?

I have a 2001 Outback Sedan, and the things original alternator died last October. So I had a new one put in on 10/10/2005, I'm told it's made by ICP. So a year and a couple days go by, and the new alternator dies on 10/22/2006. They only have a year warranty, and the auto shop reports that after calling ICP, ICP isn't willing to replace the alternator. I haven't taken it into the shop yet, but assuming I need a new alternator, does anyone have any recommendations for good, sturdy brands of alternators, so I don't have to replace the alternator every year in my car? Preferably one that is willing to extend the warranty if the thing dies in a year and a handful of days. Thanks.

Reply to
M.H.

My '99 has a Hitachi and it's never failed.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have had excellent service from Bosch alternators from PepBoys Auto.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

I don't know who ICP is (It'sa Crappy Part?) but I've found for alternators, you want to either bite the bullet and go to the dealer (whoever rebuilds the OEM stuff sold under the mfr's brand usually does a good job) or find a rebuilt that carries a "known" mfr's brand (such as Hitachi, Bosch) and stay away from "house" brands. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've had less than wonderful service from those with chain store brands and such. If you don't want to go to the dealer, see if there's a NAPA store near you--their quality is generally far higher than most aftermarket retailers IME.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Check my posting to the thread entitled "Is 2001 a lemon year....." for a similar cautionary tale.

JB

Reply to
John Bevan

I've found out ICP sold it. Reliance Automotive rebuilt it.

Reply to
M.H.